Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an infant, but am looking to buy a bronco this weekend. Is it piratical for a baby seat? Seatbelts, room ect?

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,283 Posts
I have an infant, but am looking to buy a bronco this weekend. Is it piratical for a baby seat? Seatbelts, room ect?

I have three boys under 5, with all of them in a booster seat of some variation, so I feel your pain. I've not had them in the Bronco for a drive yet, but if I'm not mistaken, I think you will actually be ok with an infant seat using just the rear lap belt through the base of the seat. Convertible seats and boosters, however, usually use a tether that goes over the rear seat to an anchor point which the Bronco does not have (I don't think).

Your best way to find this out without a doubt is to stop by your local fire station and ask them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
856 Posts
Correct. The rear facing infant seat should be fine with the center lap belt. It would only use two LATCH points anyway in a new car with the LATCH system hooks.

My 3 year old uses his convertible (now forward facing) car seat and there is not a third anchor point (LATCH) for the rear strap unfortunately. I use the lap belt through the car seat and only take him for short rides seldomly.

I am in the process of looking in to something to use as a third attachment point behind the rear seat. Maybe bolting something to the rear seat latch point on the floor.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have 3 kids, and at some point in time I've had all kinds of car seats in there. Currently, I have a forward-facing seat in the rear for my 4 year old, and a booster for the 6 year old. I've had the rear-facing ones in there as well when they were infants. The best/easiest place for it is in the center of the back seat, but it'll do just fine on either side as well.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
My 78 has a tahoe third row seat and I put all three of my kids in the back - two in boosters (8 & 5) and one in a regular car seat forward facing (20 month old). I use the seat belt to lock the car seat down with locking clip (When to use a Locking Clip - Car Seats For The Littles) It is a bit snug, but they all fit in.

Now that my 8 year old is 8 (the last time we drove the Bronco was this summer when he was 7), he isn't required to be in a booster, so that will free up some room. I am also going to get my 20 month old (will be 2 by the time the BKO is ready to roll again) one a Radian R100 seat - it is super slim profile and that will free up some room (https://us.diono.com/product/radianr100).

I also have the family cage that covers the whole back of the Bronco.

Kids love Bronco's and there are many ways to make them safe for them.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
I will also add that I did not install the center console when I redid the interior - it provides an easy path for kids to get in the back and for mom/dad to get back there when needed.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
i use the 86y harness for all my old cars that have no shoulder belts to strap in the kiddies
it allows a nice 4 point belt system for them when used with a lap belt
easy to use and transfer from one car to another

E-Z-ON 86Y Universal Harness | E-Z-ON Products, Inc. of Florida

on the bronco,tons of room for kids
biggest drawback is the 2 door design for rear seat access
remember kids only small for a little while, you will have your bronco forever!

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts
Yo

Child Safety Seat Tether Attachment
This tether is for the top straps on forward facing car seats
Ford will pay their dealers to install tether anchors (Program R7C);
It is free. Can also be used to secure cargo. etc.
One thing though; in the Service Instructions, Ford has one error, in this paragraph: "Locate the rear seat cushion latch and the rear seat back latch striker (62440). The rear bolt holding the rear seat back latch striker to the floor pan is the bolt ____ (Ford forgot to include "hole" here; & the Kit contains a new Bolt that is slightly longer than this original bolt) used for mounting the tether strap bracket (refer to illustration). Refer to Tether Strap Attachment for the Second Row Center Seating Position in this section."

Service Instructions; For 89 and later models & F-Series
Section 01-20A: Restraints, Active 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual

"...Read these instructions carefully prior to installation of the child tether strap anchor kit. (Refer to kit content.)
Some manufacturers make child safety seats with a tether strap that goes over the back of the vehicle seat and attaches to an anchoring point behind the vehicle seat.

Ford recommends placement of tethered child safety seats in a rear seating position with the tether strap attached to the tether anchoring point as shown.

If a tethered child safety seat is installed in the front seat, Ford recommends the center front seating position, with the tether strap secured to the center rear lap belt tongue or to the webbing of the buckled center rear lap belt behind the child safety seat. The front, right-hand seating position may be used if it is the only seating position available.

WARNING: FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE PRECAUTIONS COULD INCREASE THE CHANCE AND/OR SEVERITY OF INJURY IN AN ACCIDENT.

This vehicle has provisions to attach a tether anchorage in the front, right-hand and all second row seating positions. It is easiest to install a tether anchor at the second row, rear, center seating position.
Tether Anchor Kit Parts ..."
Read and see more

It was installed for free, 14 SEP 2007 by Dealer; Part # for rear seat center Kit is F2TZ-98613D74-A (Kit - CHILD SE)

Can also be used to secure cargo. etc.

Some members reported at that tine that their local dealers would not install it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yo

Child Safety Seat Tether Attachment
This tether is for the top straps on forward facing car seats
Ford will pay their dealers to install tether anchors (Program R7C);
It is free. Can also be used to secure cargo. etc.
One thing though; in the Service Instructions, Ford has one error, in this paragraph: "Locate the rear seat cushion latch and the rear seat back latch striker (62440). The rear bolt holding the rear seat back latch striker to the floor pan is the bolt ____ (Ford forgot to include "hole" here; & the Kit contains a new Bolt that is slightly longer than this original bolt) used for mounting the tether strap bracket (refer to illustration). Refer to Tether Strap Attachment for the Second Row Center Seating Position in this section."

Service Instructions; For 89 and later models & F-Series
Section 01-20A: Restraints, Active 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual

"...Read these instructions carefully prior to installation of the child tether strap anchor kit. (Refer to kit content.)
Some manufacturers make child safety seats with a tether strap that goes over the back of the vehicle seat and attaches to an anchoring point behind the vehicle seat.

Ford recommends placement of tethered child safety seats in a rear seating position with the tether strap attached to the tether anchoring point as shown.

If a tethered child safety seat is installed in the front seat, Ford recommends the center front seating position, with the tether strap secured to the center rear lap belt tongue or to the webbing of the buckled center rear lap belt behind the child safety seat. The front, right-hand seating position may be used if it is the only seating position available.

WARNING: FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE PRECAUTIONS COULD INCREASE THE CHANCE AND/OR SEVERITY OF INJURY IN AN ACCIDENT.

This vehicle has provisions to attach a tether anchorage in the front, right-hand and all second row seating positions. It is easiest to install a tether anchor at the second row, rear, center seating position.
Tether Anchor Kit Parts ..."
Read and see more

It was installed for free, 14 SEP 2007 by Dealer; Part # for rear seat center Kit is F2TZ-98613D74-A (Kit - CHILD SE)

Can also be used to secure cargo. etc.

Some members reported at that tine that their local dealers would not install it.
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to inquire with some Ford dealers about getting this kit. Hopefully it work to install it in my 78 but on the back side of the seat on the floor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a late response but for future questions I have one solution for the rear tether strap. I have a two-year-old and just switched to the convertible car seat in my 96 Bronco. I stopped at my friends house and he is Mr. fix it, within 20 minutes he had this done for me. He cut a steel platemade a latch to be bolted on the back of the rear bench seat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts