1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Clarkes, but with only 4 voltage settings, I think I would hold out for something little better. Ideally, the welder you get will have infinite voltage and wire speed settings - ie, dial settings for both

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup, have been eying that ... RREEAALLL hard ... that Sp-100t does 1/4" though :shrug

specs look identical .. just an older model possibly?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Nah, it doesn't.

I mean, any little welder will do 1/4"... but not single pass.

How far north are you? Any chance you could have it shipped state-side and take it back home with you?

Personally, a welder is the last place I'd recommend trying to save money. I didn't have the 175 for more than a month before I was wishing I had gotten a better one.

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in Montreal and have an address in New York ... about 1.5 hrs .. but I have 2 kids and the trip is a bitch through customs

I have to deal with the exchange rate .. that's why I worry about price .. look below

430.00 US Dollars = 560.295 CA Dollars

I don't want anything more than household current

where are ya Axe? :toothless

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
man i know you want to get the best bang for the buck, but i think you should stick to one of these three. lincoln, miller or hobart. i got a 175 mig & a 225 stick. if you get the welder from harbor freight they will sell you an extended warranty. i can hook you up with a guy that sells it all online, but not as cheap. harbor freight has a really good price on cylinders, which im going to buy. its cheaper than renting IMO. i know it is for my cutting cylinders in the long run. check this guys costs out. they are close to US store costs. THIS GUY I WAS GOING TO BUY FROM

BUT SERIOUSLY. look at Harbor Freight and use MIG as the search word. dude, that century welder thats 155 amps is the biggest one i have seen on 120V household current. i know everybody is going to say they have never heard of the brand before, but with a warranty and extended warranty you are covered. unless you get the lincoln, miller or hobart you wont be getting a brand that is serviceable locally. i know there is ESAB and i want one, but thats later. you should be able to order and replace anything that breaks. tips are Tweeko or the other brand. most stuff you can mail order in bulk and save. let me ask this, where are you getting your gas? and what brand do they sell there?

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will get my gas from a guy that is a pro welder .. a friend of a friend in the 4x4 club .. best I can say :shrug ... I really have no ideas about it all...just want to get as good as I can for my money ... that Century unit is not gas capable so I am not sure about that. I have heard good things about the quality you get from gas welding, but will have to see what's up for myself. I want to have that option available to me

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Not to stray too far from the topic, but I keep reading about your having to drive with the kids... I take my 3 kids everywhere, and I rarely have a problem with them. Are you kids really that unruly, that you can't take them anywhere for any length of time? Why not take one, and leave the other with a babysitter, or your wife, or a family friend or relative? You'd only be gone for, maybe, an afternoon, it's not like you'd be gone the entire weekend

Understandably, the cost of fuel's got to suck, driving the Bronco that far. Could you borrow a friend's car for the afternoon? I mean, it's not like you'd be bringing home a refridgerator

I still suggest nothing less than a 135A model, of whatever brand you choose, and make sure both have the infinite adjustments I mentioned earlier

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
you know i never noticed that part. well look at the big three that i mentioned. its not the welder its the guy using it. for house current, you wont find infinite voltage adjustment, so you might as well look at the 135s that lincoln, miller & hobart offer & see whats cheapest. i think it will be hobart at harbor freight. take a trip to the local gas places. you will need to see what they carry & if they can warranty lincoln & miller. if not, then there really is no reason to spend the extra Lincoln, Miller dollars when a nice 135 Hobart will do. if you could get warranty work there in canada, get the name brands. i think hobart = miller.

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nah, my kids are great .. just sitting at the border for 2 hrs or more with a 4 yr old can be rough on him and me

:shrug

with the link that Axe put up I found this :thumbup http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2576556507&category=45032

I think this will be the ticket

now I gotta work out the logistics of it all :p

I appreciate you guys input on steering me in the right direction .. I think this is gonna be it :beer

408.87 US Dollars = 533.11 CAD shipped .. that ROCKS!

that thing would cost me close to $800 up here after taxes

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i like lincoln. but i will say this guy will throw in a cart with the millers for a decent cost. plus blue is my fave color. i still stick with lincoln. i think you will like that welder. dave i dont think infinite power is available under 175A, i havent seen one yet. heres my wet dream ... crap, i was going to link a pic, but its not there. it was an ESAB 250 dual spool, one gun for mig one spool gun for aluminum. front access to change polarity. oh it was sweet. white front case. that was the kicker for me. the others all have black panels. anyway. decent choice on that. i want to build a cart out of ... well if i tell you... ok. a big red wagon. big 13" wheels. any how, i think thats a great cost too. let us know what you work out

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Miller has the adjustability .. too expensive though :shrug

The Millermatic 135 is perfect for light fabrication, garage/body shops, auto body, and at home. It welds material 24 gauge to 3/16 inch. This all-in-one MIG machine has infinite voltage control with wire feed speed tracking for easy operator control. Runs on 115 Volt input power to go wherever you need to weld!

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
oh & dave i was wrong, they both have infinite in 135a, lincoln is $121 more & miller is ?

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
thats close, it has TIG and the one i saw didnt. plus the other one had a white face and that yellow cabinet and was taller with a spool gun. but that is a nice welder just the same. HERE IT IS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts