Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys in here have back trouble/pain like I do? I'm only 20 but I already have to "walk on eggshells" with my back. I just hurt it tonight, just doing my curling and it decided to let go and now my back i tight as hell. What can I really do about it to make the situation better? I dunno, I'm just curious about it cause I dont' know anybody else with issues like this with their back. At least, not in my age group. I wish I could :whiteflag and hit reset.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
get a good bed, like one with memory foam that helped me out a lot. also stretching your lower back frequently will help, especially if you can do it in the shower where your muscles will be warmer and looser. also, at the end of the day when you know you back has just about had it call it quits instead of powering through it, thats when you get ****ed. i've thrown my back out a couple times, i'm 21 so i know how you feel.

·
Try it now!!
9,119 Posts
Chiropracter.

Within a couple weeks of each other, I was in a 50mph car wreck sitting in the jump seat of my dads ranger (sideways), and also took a wierd crazy turn in midair during a high school soccer game when a defender took my legs out as I went up for a header...twisting my lower back pretty good.

Both areas felt better after the chiropractor, but its hard to remember to keep going when it doesnt hurt, and unless you keep going for a while it will never get better and the pain will come back.

After high school I mowed lawns professionally and there is no suspension on those mowers so my back took a beating riding around on hard NC clay all day.

Since I moved to Florida and have desk jobs, I havent needed to see a chiropractor yet...knock on wood.

Some people say they are yahoos but its not true. If I did something to aggravate my back or neck (this happend a few times when I was on fire/ems calls), the next time I went to him he could tell things were out of place when he palpated my neck, without me telling him it was aggravated.

-Will

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Back pain sucks. Neck pain sucks even more. I herniated a disk in my C5, C6 and it is a constant pain.

Stretching is always a good preventative measure.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
You will deal with it for the rest of your life...I hurt mine about 10 years ago(Im 35 now) & Im in pain 24/7....Somehow I messd my neck up so now I have lower back & neck probs/headachs...

Chiropracter is the way to go....Oh yes....Ice it dont heat it....Alot of people dont like the Chiropracter but they do help & you have to go all the time which sucks...

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
be careful with your back bro, i f*cked mine up a few years ago rafting and it has never been the same. in fact, my toes are still numb. cool huh? not. so, you need to strengthen your abs to help your back. do stretches, nothing wild and take your time. take it very easy or you might herniate a disc and then you are in for a world of hurt, trust me and others who have been there. it sucks. you can't sit, you can't stand, you can't lay down, it just doesn't matter what you do the pain won't stop. i had to get an epidural steroid shot to calm it. nip it in the bud and read on web md or something to get some good instructions on stretches and excercises for your back.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Saurian said:
What can I really do about it to make the situation better? .
Mine started bothering me at 19 after I turned a Duster over so we could torch out the trunk floor.

Apart from not doing stupid things like that, I have a few decades of experience to impart to you.

First, make an appointment now to see a physiotherapist. You'll be better by the time they call you, but go anyway.

Next, I know it's important to a 20 year old to have a big upper body, but without a strong torso and middle you're F#@&ed now and especially later in life. Taller you are the more critical it is.

Dedicate more time (once your back is well enough) to stomach muscle and back strengthening. Do weights every second or third day sure, but do the simple, easy and quick exercises the physio gives you for 6 minutes EVERY morning.

Do that and you'll never have a back attack again

Sixlitre

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
Did some dumb lifting of a bag of garden bark about 1970. Felt something "pop" in my lower back, and couldn't get out of bed for a couple of days.

No problem for about 15 or 20 years. Then did some more dumb lifting. Now I get some sciatic pain down the left leg every year or so. Literally have to crawl around!

I guess humans weren't meant to walk upright...:shrug

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
marv said:
Did some dumb lifting of a bag of garden bark about 1970. Felt something "pop" in my lower back, and couldn't get out of bed for a couple of days.

No problem for about 15 or 20 years. Then did some more dumb lifting. Now I get some sciatic pain down the left leg every year or so. Literally have to crawl around!

I guess humans weren't meant to walk upright...:shrug
you said it! bad design. wish i could get a spinal titanium upgrade.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I've noticed that cranking up the hot water in the shower and just letting it run on my back helps make it feel better. Then people are like "Wtf?" when my back is beet red.

It's right in the middle, too. I guess I'll have to call my uncle and figure out what insurance covers and such, and how much out of pocket it'll cost and all that.

Yeah, I'm guilty of skipping the middle in lifting. I'll definately get into that. What can I do to strengthen my back that won't aggravate it? I don't think good mornings would help.

EDIT: I made it sound like this was my first issue. I've been dealing with it for over a year. Not last November, but the Nov before that the boss asked me to come along and we had to unload 3 full pallets of fruit down off the semi at a highschool for their fund raiser thing. It is then that I spent a week and a half in severe, unbearable pain. It went away, but I've had to walk on eggshells with my back since. All of us here at hte dorms were wrestling ilke 4 months back and in the process of that i really wrenched up my back and the next morning I could barely move. I've been in this situation for a while. and it really sucks.

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
Saurian said:
...the boss asked me to come along and we had to unload 3 full pallets of fruit down off the semi at a highschool for their fund raiser thing. It is then that I spent a week and a half in severe, unbearable pain.
That's Workman's Compensation if you were employed.

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
I'll chime in again now that I have more time.

Six is right on the money. Work your abs. It may sound back-ackwards, but strong abs means better posture, and better back. Strengthen up your lower back as well. Stretch THOROUGHLY before and after every workout no matter how boring it is. And finally, keep your waistline down.

-Matt

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Saurian said:
I've noticed that cranking up the hot water in the shower and just letting it run on my back helps make it feel better. Then people are like "Wtf?" when my back is beet red.

Yeah, I'm guilty of skipping the middle in lifting. I'll definately get into that.

I've been in this situation for a while. and it really sucks.
Saurian

You need a physiotherapist to tell you whether your back will benefit from hot or cold and how much and how long to apply it. You can do more bad than good with the wrong temps (I know).

Everybody is guilty of neglecting the middle back. Very few men actually do enough(the wimen won't let us) to keep the harness of muscles supporting their stomachs and backs strong enough.

Your physio will know the kind of seemingly useless, small exercise movements that will build the torso muscles, without hurting them, even when they're inflamed.

Sixlitre

·
Pissin' into the wind
2,523 Posts
I hurt my back a few years back as a plumber. I've never really hurt it since then but I can tell when I'm getting close, so when I feel like my back is going to go I spend the night on the floor.

Honest. I sleep on the floor when my back starts to flair up and I wake up feeling great every time. That generally gets me through the next few months.

My legs bother me more than my back...and there isn't anything I can do about that. :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
Burl Swift said:
I hurt my back a few years back as a plumber. I've never really hurt it since then but I can tell when I'm getting close, so when I feel like my back is going to go I spend the night on the floor.

Honest. I sleep on the floor when my back starts to flair up and I wake up feeling great every time. That generally gets me through the next few months.

My legs bother me more than my back...and there isn't anything I can do about that. :(

Actually your leg pain is probably due to a buldged disk. And that is what was recommended for me when i pulled the muscles in my back... hard surface and alt heat and cold, just like a sprain. And as for the titanium spine... the bones are good... its the damn disks.... when they come up with a good poly set i think i will put them in... hey any excuse to upgrade, just like the bronco....

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
If you carry your wallet in your back pocket, take it out.

I've had back trouble off and on since I was 15.
Chiropractors do help, backrub from a beautiful woman in front of the fireplace helps just as much :thumbup

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
PaulT said:
:thumbup
First thing my Chiro told me too. Oh, go to a Chiro. Also, get a good bed as Andy(shit in my Bronc)351 said.:toothless

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
PaulT said:
what does that have to do with anything?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
stepchild88 said:
what does that have to do with anything?
Large wallet on one side...sitting on hard car / truck seats. After many years you get out of alignment side to side.

I used to let receipts grow in my wallet until it was and inch or two thick. Does make a difference. I just do quicken more often now and carry a super thin wallet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts