Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the tire carrier off my bronc, due to the fact that the 31 that was on there is useless for my 35's. Im thinking it got messed up from the cold weather getting into the bolt holes. Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix?

·
Registered
76 Posts
maed10 said:
I took the tire carrier off my bronc, due to the fact that the 31 that was on there is useless for my 35's. Im thinking it got messed up from the cold weather getting into the bolt holes. Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix?
Take the tailgate down and remove the plate on the inside of the tailgate. There will be a switch inside, basically a connector for the two separate wires. If dirt or moisture gets in there it will cause this problem. I simply cut the wires to the switch, took the switch out and just connected the wires with a double butt-end connector. No more problems. :chili:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take the tailgate down and remove the plate on the inside of the tailgate. There will be a switch inside, basically a connector for the two separate wires. If dirt or moisture gets in there it will cause this problem. I simply cut the wires to the switch, took the switch out and just connected the wires with a double butt-end connector. No more problems.
I tried this, it did not work. Im getting no power to the window motor, i checked all the fuses. Do you think it could be the motor or something?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Check the connections on the back of the push button on the dash. Are you positive current isn't coming down the wire? How'd you test? Dummy light or something?

·
Registered
463 Posts
maed10 said:
I tried this, it did not work. Im getting no power to the window motor, i checked all the fuses. Do you think it could be the motor or something?
if you cant get any power to window motor what makes you think its the motor

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im not sure if there is power going to the motor or not, i meant i cant hear the motor work at all. Since the switch on the dash and the key switch in the tailgate dont work im assuming its something with wiring or the motor. I havent tested the lines in the back because I dont have any equipment to test it with. I've tried to mover the glass down by muscling it but it wont budge at all. I really need to find a way just to get the window down so i can pull the tailgate down and look at it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im not sure if there is power going to the motor or not, i meant i cant hear the motor work at all. Since the switch on the dash and the key switch in the tailgate dont work im assuming its something with wiring or the motor. I havent tested the lines in the back because I dont have any equipment to test it with. I've tried to mover the glass down by muscling it but it wont budge at all. I really need to find a way just to get the window down so i can pull the tailgate down and look at it.

·
Project Re-Build & Finish
1,012 Posts
You have to pull off the panel on the tailgate, then run a jumper wire from the battery and touch it to one of the terminals on the moter. I don't remember which one but you'll know when you touch the right one. I've put three dash switches in my 81'. The other problem I had with it was the plug inside the driver's side tail light was corroded very bad. Just wired it direct, but you can't check that till you get the tailgate down.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Theres a regulator inside the tailgate to make sure the tailgate is all the way closed before moving the window. It must of been messed up from the cold weather exposed or something. I just bypassed the wires so it doesnt go through that regulator. Now it works fine. I just need to make sure the tailgate is all the way closed. I used one of those dummy lights to check for current before and after that regulator. Its simple :thumbup

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Try fixing it with no window switch. I have an intersting jumper set on the female plug for the dash switch. Also, th back window is slow rising (possibly due to a bad ground draining umph from the motor) SO... I'm stuck with just a tailgate switch. And it took about four hours in a humid September afternoon to get that fixed.

~Critter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts