Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

I need some help fast. My back window will not go up. :shrug :banghead, I have checked everthing. I have replaced every fuse. (that I know of) I have checked the switch on the dash.. That may be the prob. But if it was the switch on the dash it would still go with the key switch on the tail gate... Right??? :shrug Please any help would be great.. If ya need more info on the rig let me know.. As I am not the Auto master most of this is guessing work. :thumbup

Thanks Gang

BroncoHound

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
check the wires between the tailgate and the body. its on the drivers side

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
were do the wires go from under the dash? under the hood somewhere then to the back?? Does anyone have a dash switch that they know works they would like to GIVE or sale cheap??
Any help would be great.

Thanks guys
BroncoHound

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,658 Posts
If the window won't go up from the key in the rear... I doubt the switch is going to do you any good. :shrug

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
then what ya think the problem is MR. Pepe? I got no clue. I looked over everthing I know of today. Jus got me dumbfounded. But that aint hard :toothless

·
Registered
676 Posts
take the access panel off and remove the 4 nuts the window on the regulator track there are 2 on each side after you get the window off the trackpush it up and replace the motor its a pain in the butt , but its the only way to get to the window motor

good luck :D

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,658 Posts
I'd suspect the motor itself or the electrical connection to it.

I'm really not the best guy to be giving advice, but I will give you this warning... you may have to manually remove the window to get at what you need. If you have to... be VERY carefull re-installing it. I did it with my brother and we busted the rear window into 1000+ pieces.

Back on track... any tell tale signs. Strange behavior before it went out? Any recent work (electrical or other) done before the problem started? Anything to give these guys a good lead may help. Internet diagnosis requires many details and usualy just gets you pointed in the right direction.

Either way... good luck to you MR. BroncoHound! :beer

EDIT: See there... Bobby chimed in while I was typing to ya! :thumbup

·
Registered
432 Posts
O.k. Here goes

1. Take the inspection plate off of the inside of your tailgate.
2. remove the bolts that hold the window to the regulator.
3. now carefully with your tail gate down slide the window out(it will not come all the way out so you will need to support it with something.
this will reveal the motor and the mass of wiring.
there are two swiths one tells when the window is down and the other tell when the window is up both look like 2 wires running intio a black cap (still not sure axactly how they work) both have to be removed.
One is about midways across in the bottom of the tailgate the other is up near the key switch.

If you cut those and just wire the wires together it should work if
assuming your motor is good

When I did it i took the entire wiring harness out it unplugs behing your taillight on the drivers side and then you can unplug everything and pull it all out through the tailgate.

I look for days takeing voltage and resistance readings everywhere before I figured it out.
ill try to get the wire colors if you need me to but I just used a haynes manual to trace it out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
196 Posts
How did the window stop working?Did it just go halfway down and then stop?Were you driving along and trying to put the window up?You might want to try pushing on the drivers side of the gate while trying the switch.There is another swicth on the drivers door latch that tells when the door is closed.I have seen quite a few problems with those switches.Give it a try and let us know.Good luck.

·
Registered
432 Posts
No I gutted that out before I ever found this site so I had no reason to take pics. THe wires I am talking about seem to run to nothing. so if you look You will find themIf i remember right 2 wires come off of the harness and 2 come off of the key switch in the tailgate. I am off again wndssay So I can pull mine out if I need to and get some pics for you. Its alot easier than it sounds.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I was riding some trails last sunday and had the thing down, Then on monday WHEN I GOT THE DAMN thing unstuck and got out of the woods I was checking damage ( :cry had some) so was bout to get out on the main road and was going to roll the back window up cause it was a little cold that night and it would not go up. I had blown a few fuses but replaced all of them yesterday.. Is there another fuse somewhere else that may go to the window? Jayrus, I am not understanding what you are talking about.

Thanks again

PS, No Southrnpride69, No need to go through all that trouble jus for little ol me :toothless but thanks anyways.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is a switch located on the drivers side latch that works as a safety switch so the window won't operate without the door being closed.The last time I had problems with mine I pressed as hard as I could on the drivers side of the door where the latch is and put the window up with the key.

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts
yo,
s others' have advised, that latch is a prob, but if that driver's side latch isn't the prob then troubleshoot the sys w/some ckt schematics (in my web site, below); thanks to other B owners.

also, you can look at Dustin and other people's articles (OPA) (i kant help the acronyms) on tailgate repairs there and go through your's step-by-step.

If it got that wet, then look @ that harness that loops up into the gate by driver's side t'light assy; ck any connector in that area.

·
Registered
156 Posts
start with the basics, check voltage at the motor and check to make sure your ground is still attached(common problem) It really sounds like an electrical problem to me but I've been known to be wrong, just ask my wife.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Take off the access hatch and inthe midle under the center cross member you should find a 2 wire connector. One side goes to the motor and the other side goes to the key switch and limit switch. Take 12 volts and connect it to the side that goes to the motor and the window should either go up or down depending on the polarity. If this works then the problem will be the limit switch if it does not work then the problem is the motor. It took me the better part of the day to try this as I could find the connector as it is no listed on Mitchel as having on and when I tryed to trouble shoot without disconnecting the harness it gave strange readings. Hope this helps:beer

1 - 20 of 50 Posts