Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but couldnt find what I needed; My back window motor is out, I would really like to take the top off for the first time tomorrow.

Is there a way to manually move the window up or down. I took off the access panel pushed down on the arms and it doesnt more more than an inch.

·
Registered
212 Posts
U may be able to use a car battery or battery charger to manually put it down. Remove the harness and rig some sort of tips on the end of jumper cables and connect the jumpers to the battery or if you are using the jumper box just use its negative/pos cables and on the alligator clips, rig small nails or screws with tape so they dont move on you and touch the NEGATIVE motor terminal 1st, then touch the POSITIVE terminal. The motor will move at it normal speed so be ready to move your hands or make sure they are outta the way enough for the window to come down all the way. If the window tries to go up, just reverse the nails and touch the opposite terminals with the POS/NEG. This will not harm anything. WEAR GLOVES THOUGH, you can never be too careful when it comes to your fingers. Oh FYI, this is also considered "bench testing" your motor to diagnose if its the motor having issues or the harness or switches. If the motor works, then you have issues elsewhere. And normally you can rebuild or repair/lube the brushes for FREE compared to spending 55 bucks on a new motor you don't trully need. So good luck and I'm sure I left some stuff out, so other members, correct me if I am wrong. This is just how "I" would do it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if the motor is completely toast the window will absolutley not move until it will at least turn and you can push it down?

·
Registered
212 Posts
If the motor is 100% done for, the jumpers will not move it at all. You will have to take the hardtop off the truck and service it that way. BUT after you get the motor out of the rear door assembly, the motor may still work if you get it out and take off the terminal cap and clean it, re-bench test it, it may work. There are little brushes inside that make contact, and they get gunked up and stuck open or closed. This may just be the case and save yourself 55 bucks by spending 10 minutes cleaning/lubing the brushes. So to keep it simple, try the jumper idea, if that is a no go, then get the motor out the origional way. Then take apart the motor and clean it, then re-bench test it. If it still doenst budge, it is scrape metal. But atleast you will be 100% confident your problem was your motor.

Dont force anything, you will break the glass or bend components, or both. When you push down on it, you are pushing against the gear teeth and WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MOVE IT ANY FURTHER.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I remove the window motor is there an way to manually move the window at that point?

·
Registered
834 Posts
If I remove the window motor is there an way to manually move the window at that point?
Well, yes but, you need to move the window in order to remove the motor.
When you say it is "out", is it not working with either the key or the switch?
Do you hear anything at all?
have you checked your fuses?
As others have said, you might be able to jump it.
remove the panel to the back door and unplud the wiring harnass. It should be a white, red, and yellow wire.
Touch the whie and red to a battery and the window should do something.
if it goes up a tiny little but, just reverse the polairty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, yes but, you need to move the window in order to remove the motor.
When you say it is "out", is it not working with either the key or the switch?
Do you hear anything at all?
have you checked your fuses?
As others have said, you might be able to jump it.
remove the panel to the back door and unplud the wiring harnass. It should be a white, red, and yellow wire.
Touch the whie and red to a battery and the window should do something.
if it goes up a tiny little but, just reverse the polairty.
Right now the window is up, I cant get it down and I would like to take the top off. When I say it is out, I mean it is physically installed but it does not work. It doesnt do anything with the key or the switch. Fuses are good, but I could double check.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure is this might help but it did for me when I was having window problems. Someone on the forum (wish i could remember who so they could get credit) mentioned that there was a short or switch on the tailgate near the drivers side. All I had to do was to push on the tailgate (drivers side) and use the key to roll down the window. It worked. Give that a try also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts