Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will roll down no problem, so i know it is not fuse. Just got a key for the back (it used to roll it up and down) but it will not work (the key just spins around). I simply cannot get it up! What can I do? The switch might be the problem, or could it be something else? Need help fast!!!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
Most likely it is the switch. You could pull the switch and jumper the plug to see if it will roll back up. I might have a spare switch laying around as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So you say it will roll down but not up? Can you hear the motor engaging when you try to roll it up? There are bushings inside the motor that wear out over time and can easily be replaced. There are plenty of write-ups on here and i'll see if i can find a link(if thats the problem).

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had the same problem with my 89 bko, rear window goes down and not up. i think that the dash switch is bad , so this is what i did to get window up. pull switch pannel from dash, it pops out.. ok so looking at the five wires you want the two on the left BLUE-BLACK LINE and PURPLE- GREEN LINE . but the trick of it is that in order to jump the wires together you MUST have key on and the switch in the up position and window goes up .. if you jump these wires with out the switch pressed up it will ark weld and blow fuse. it took me an intire week end to figure this out on my own so hope this works for you as well push the switch up and then jump the wires...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem on my 85. Turns out the problem was in the wiring harness between the tailgate and the body. After opening up the harness found one of the wires had broke. I just used a butt connector and taped the harness back up works fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
help

I wish i knew how to do all this. Someone whould explain to me how to "jump" some wires. I have the dash off, and I see the black-blue wires and the green-purple. Someone said to jump the wires to get the window to go up. problem is, I am not a big gearhead and do not know how to do this. please help, I do not want to have to take this and pay a butt load to get it fixed if i can do it myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i get this problem with my 90.

when i close the tailgate too hard, it knocks the tumbler out and instead of pushing the little buttons in the tailgate, it spins all the way around. take out the plate on the tailgate and have someone spin the key while you push the tumbler, it should snap back into place and the key should start working.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Back Window Woes, common. I re-wired the entire system, bypassed the key and the gate safety switch. I ran a heavy gauge fused line from the battery to a Universal Starter Button in the dash, PUSH - puts power to the motor. From there ran the wire under the carpet to a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch I put on the left side of cab. You have to flip the switch and push the button to get the window to move.

Here is a way to get the motor to run. Get inside the truck with a 12v battery, take off the panel and find the two wires from the motor. Scrape off a little insulation (tape later) both wires go to the motor. + / - window goes up. - / + it goes down. I ran (two) wires from the DPDT to the rear, through the stock hole in the left side (took out old wires), bypassed everything except the motor. I never used the outside key: "parts left off cause no maintenance problems".

The problem was figuring out the wiring at the DPDT. With power to the center poles, switch one way puts the power to the two wires for up, flip the switch, for down. Lube up the mechanism with grease, windows can get stuck without lube. IF you don't re-wire, maybe you can bypass your bad key switch and at least get back on the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts