Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my 351w is backfireing when i shift gears( MANUAL 4-SPD) and it also backfires if i stomp on the gas and let off, what are some possible cuases for this, i looked in the search but didnt get anythign that pertained to this engine setup

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
Carb is lean on the squirt.

What carb do you have?

IF it is a holley you need an accelerator pump cam.

If it is another like Edelbrock you need change pin location on the pump lever.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
Here make yours look like this... Yours is probably in the middle or top hole is stock... Put it all the way to the bottom...

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i made the adjustment,i also replaced my ignition coil and rotor and cap, the truck is acting weird now, it wont start while you try to crank it, only when you release the key does it start

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
Are you sure you didn't cross any wires??? Can you post pics of your motor kinda up close??? From a top view...

Not to criticize you but when you a chaseing a problem only fix one thing at a time because this happens more than you would think.:duh

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was jsut flooded i guess its working right now, and the backfireing seems to have stopped, unfortunately you could have told me that little clip tends to go flying when you try to remove it

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
colinlesser said:
it was jsut flooded i guess its working right now, and the backfireing seems to have stopped, unfortunately you could have told me that little clip tends to go flying when you try to remove it

LMAO yeah I lost 3 in one shot one time. That was the last time I worked on a carb with a good buzz....:histerica

Glad your fixed.:thumbup

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can picture myself doing the same thing, I hate little clips and springs. Seems like they can fly 100 feet!!!:doh0715:

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i cant check the timing, i wish i could but for some retarded reason the timing needle is on the driver side under the water pump outlet and hose so it is impossible to do the timing without removign the hose and most liekly the pump

1 - 16 of 16 Posts