Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought smoked taillights for my 89 full size. I want to upgrade my bulbs to LED. All I'm shown for that year is an 1157. I don't have that style, I have the blade type. The bulbs I have are T2356. I can't find a cross reference guide to show me what number to go with. A local shop in my town was able to do so and they came up with 3156. Everytime I look up bulbs, I'm told it does not fit my vehicle. They look identical, but I don't want to spend money just to find out they don't work. Can one of y'all help a newbie out with this? Just need the backup light bulb in white. What is the correct part number?

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,917 Posts
3156 is it. I believe 89 was the transition year as my 89 parts truck had the blade type too. I bet the number on your bulbs currently deal with a different wattage rather than fitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
3156 is the single filament push wedge type bulb, 1156 is the single filament push and twist style bulb with the round socket on the bottom

·
Registered
1993 F150 XLT 302 MAF A/T 4x4 2.5" Lift
283 Posts
If you further the led lights for the brake lights you'll need to look ever deeper. I'm still looking for my year (93) with smoked tail lights and purchased two sets already, which worked great and very bright yet did not work.

Lights worked great until I turned on the headlights and then the brake lights did not work on both sets.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Brake & turn because of the flasher relay involved., the current they draw is not enough to trip the relay properly
Headlight, side markers, reverse, lic plate, cargo (all non-flashing) fine

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
2,917 Posts
I used Sylvania Zevo tail lights and added a magnetic or whatever flasher for my taillights on my 94 like 3 years ago. 0 issues. I still have the incandescent 3rd brake light.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Is it just as simple as changing the flasher relay? I seem to remember the fix involving more than that...

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
If using all led bulbs for the brake lights you will have to splice in a resistor on both the left and right brake light wiring. If not you can experience hyper flash but worse issue with the torque converter unlocking since it uses the signal from the brake lights to unlock the converter

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
2,917 Posts
If using all led bulbs for the brake lights you will have to splice in a resistor on both the left and right brake light wiring. If not you can experience hyper flash but worse issue with the torque converter unlocking since it uses the signal from the brake lights to unlock the converter
Uses the signal from the 3rd brake light from what I’ve read over the years. I can feel my TC lockup on the highway and my RPM vs MPH is still the same as it always had been. And while hyper flash happens on 97-up F150, the original thermal flasher just won’t flash at all.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Uses the signal from the 3rd brake light from what I’ve read over the years. I can feel my TC lockup on the highway and my RPM vs MPH is still the same as it always had been. And while hyper flash happens on 97-up F150, the original thermal flasher just won’t flash at all.

Right but when i switched to all leds with the engine running and lights off the third brake light was lit but dim, wired resistors on each taillight to solve the back feed issue

·
Man of endless projects
9,801 Posts
they can also cause issues with cruise control issues.

also ive seen turn signal leds to backfeed and keep all 4 corner lights illuminated when running light is on, preventing turn signals. theres alot of mess that can go wrong with leds. some people dont experience these issues, some people do. so far every truck ive used them has have issues.

you put in a electronic flasher to replace the older thermal stlye. dont forget about hazard flasher.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
they can also cause issues with cruise control issues.

also ive seen turn signal leds to backfeed and keep all 4 corner lights illuminated when running light is on, preventing turn signals. theres alot of mess that can go wrong with leds. some people dont experience these issues, some people do. so far every truck ive used them has have issues.

you put in a electronic flasher to replace the older thermal stlye. dont forget about hazard flasher.
i put a electronic flasher in mine for the leds but weird thing is i havent changed the hazzard relay and the hazzards work fine with the leds

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
2,917 Posts
i put a electronic flasher in mine for the leds but weird thing is i havent changed the hazzard relay and the hazzards work fine with the leds
Same here but I have incandescents up front still.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts