Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first off I've got 2" leveling coils and 1/2" spacers(make up for custom bumper) and my alignments off pretty bad. I also didnt get a steering stabilizer. My handling and sticking to the roadness sucks really bad. I'm about to buy new tires and fix my alignment. Will a steering stabilizer help? The alignmnet shims I bought with the leveling coils(worked before did front end work). My drivability on the riad is really bad everytime I get on a road that's rutted put and old it slings me back and forth. Is this due to misalignment?

My front end was fine before I replaced my axle pivot bushings. The alignment was fine and everything so I think I can fix the problem by re aligning and getting a SS. Correct?

Thanks guys,

Broncofire75

·
Zombie Hunter
13,684 Posts
Steering stabilizers help, but they also hide problems, it's kind of putting a band aid on a problem, not truly fixing it.

If you're only running 32" tires, you really shouldn't have all that much trouble with your steering, are you sure that nothing else needs replaced?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably 3 months ago was when we redid the axle pivot bushings and we checks ball joints and all that then. IDK what it could be. It wasn't all that bad until I noticed a quick increase in my tire wear on the insides of both front tires. I have a 89 XJ and the SS on it helped alot thats why I asked abou it and I know people like Hemithis have 2 and 3 stabilizers to help because of larger tires. Yall think it would make enough difference for the cost?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'm going to buy a SS here in the next week and see how that does. Also, I'm replacing the front 2 tires hopefully that will fix it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Stabilizers arent gonna help that much. Check your tie rod ends and drag link, then your steering box and shaft. I put 2 inch leveling coils and needed drop down brackets cause my tires were like \--/ And it took awhile for the springs to settle, plus I replaced the tierods and drag link with a kit from Jeff's and put in a stabilizer and it rides better but I still need an allignment. A new box is going in next.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K thanks guys 94broncoxl I was just using him as an example. I dont know of anything that would be broke I've been under there and checked and stuff several times and IDK whats causing it. I know it'll help a lot w/ new tires and alignment because before the alignment/bushing replacement it was fine and I don't think I broke anything replacing the pivot bushings. The only other thing done to the steering is I had a guy put on a new tie rod end.

Could it have anything to do w/ a power steering problem? I had a leak last week put some engine degreaser around the cap and pump and it aint leaked much since.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
I know it'll help a lot w/ new tires and alignment because before the alignment/bushing replacement it was fine and I don't think I broke anything replacing the pivot bushings.
Do this first then see if there is still a problem. Bad alignment and tires can cause all kinds of problems, including the ones you have noted. If after your alignment and tires, its still an issue, start looking at other steering components... IMO.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
The 2.5" lift without axle pivot drop brackets is what is screwing you up. The geometry is no good.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It actually measures from before around 2 1/4" which is till pushing it but That measurement was without my 1/8" thick custom bumper with D rings and 3/4" shackle mounts and 1/4" mounting brackets so I'm really probably only sitting aroun 2". From everything I've read 2" is fine and sterring and all that has just gotten worse I lifted it over a year ago and it was fine then. Could it be that just over time the lift is wearing down on steering components?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got an alignment and then worked on my front end and never got it realigned. I thought it looked OK I was way wrong. They ain't too bad cant even tell looking at them. I have probably 2/32nds on the inside and 10/32nds on the outside if that helps...

·
Zombie Hunter
13,684 Posts
K thanks guys 94broncoxl I was just using him as an example.
He's also running a much much larger tire than you. 32" tires are damn near stock. If you're having trouble now, it's only going to worsen if you increase tire diameter.

Stabilizers are great when you're running larger diameter tires, simply because it helps keep the steering system stable, you're system should be more than stable with 32" tires. If you added a stabilizer it shouldn't be to fix a problem, it should be to enhance you're steering.

There is a lot of good advice on this forum, there is also information you should definitely ask about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts