Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firestone said that my front right axle beam needed replaced along with the ball joints on that side when I went to get alignment today. Should I replace it? Or just do a SAS? If I did a SAS what would I need to find at a junkyard to have all the parts? Money is tight at the moment, and my bronco is my dd

Also how would I check the axle beam myself to see if its actually bad or not?

thanks

90 Bronco Eddie Bauer 302 5.0 push button 4x4 with an AOD( i think its an AOD)

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
i don't think you should trust firestone to knowing that the beam is bad.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
yeah how did they say it was bad???????? sas will cost you some money. i have a right side beam here if you need it. let me know

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
you shouldn't post the same question in 2 different forums either. ;)

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Money is tight and bronco is dd. I wouldn't do a SAS until you have week off and damn sure you have every part. Once it's out it isn't going back in. If you still want to do a SAS read until your eyes are bleeding. It's a ton of work it seems like but worth it in the end. Btw I barely trust Firestone to mount a tire lol.

·
Banned
676 Posts
I had a bronco at my work a while back that the ball joints were so bad for so long that they had egged out the taper surface. I ordered a beam from lmc truck. Still ended costing more than the truck was worth.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
i find it extremely unlikely that the axle beam suddenly went "bad" without the truck being in a pretty bad wreck (with impact on that wheel or beam)

hell i smashed my bronco into a tree, the truck didn't stop until the tree hit the axle beam! *and* i was towing a trailer, with another bronco on it.
and i drove it home (luckily i was towing a bronco with a blown trans, so it had all the parts i needed to swap over to get home.. steering box etc) that was an interesting night.....

oh, and it didn't damage the beam any, at all.

heres a pic

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I would ask them what is "bad". It could be just the bushings and ball joints. If you do have to replace it, the junk yards are full of them. (no one swaps a TTB IN, lol) I got one in my garage you could have, but it would not be worth the trip. (so many closer to you) The swap is a great idea, but you should have a back up car to drive for awhile.

Rhauf, That sucks. I bet it was brakes that got you. I've towed heavy before. Everybody thinks that sway is the problem. No, Its the brakes. Although that trailier looks like it has brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I would ask them what is "bad". It could be just the bushings and ball joints. If you do have to replace it, the junk yards are full of them. (no one swaps a TTB IN, lol) I got one in my garage you could have, but it would not be worth the trip. (so many closer to you) The swap is a great idea, but you should have a back up car to drive for awhile.

Rhauf, That sucks. I bet it was brakes that got you. I've towed heavy before. Everybody thinks that sway is the problem. No, Its the brakes. Although that trailier looks like it has brakes.
brakes were only a small part of the problem.. long story.. but here it is.

my friend blew up his trans.. so we went to get my bronco and trailer to tow him home... my bronco had a rear spool in it at the time (not a good idea for towing!)

we loaded up his bronco, and headed out around 10pm. the road out of the place we were wheelin' was gravel for a couple miles. i was trying to keep up with everyone else who was hauling ass away from me.. well the tongue weight of the trailer plus the spool = questionable (no) steering.. i came up to one right turn, steered, but the truck kept going straight.. of course i had no chance of stopping with the brakes, so i decided to steer left as much as i could to try to avoid the tree, but i caught it on the right side of the front of the truck. when it smashed its way in, it pushed the wheel so far to the right, that it broke the steering box (cracked off the shaft). my battery was on top of the engine since there was now a tree where the battery box was, and all the wiring was torn up... bronco was still running tho :rockon i put it in reverse, backed up, and quickly found out i had no steering.

so we started swapping parts out of my friends bronco, in the dark, with half ass tools. by 3am we were on the road again, minus one headlight, with a strap holding the crinkled hood down. got home by dawn and all was good.

damage to the bronco was later fixed fairly easily. junkyard fender, hood, and battery box, bent the core support back into place, bolted stuff back together and she was good as new.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The SAS is alot of work, and you would need a vehicle to drive b/c its not a overnight or weekend project. I SAS my 89 F150 and love it. I have about $1200 tied up in the axle and lift, and I did all of the work myself.

BTW, you have to run a minimum lift of 4" to have a Solid Axle; anything smaller and you will have to cut the engine cross member. I swapped in a Dana 44 and 9" rear from a '79 F150.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
The SAS is alot of work, and you would need a vehicle to drive b/c its not a overnight or weekend project. I SAS my 89 F150 and love it. I have about $1200 tied up in the axle and lift, and I did all of the work myself.

BTW, you have to run a minimum lift of 4" to have a Solid Axle; anything smaller and you will have to cut the engine cross member. I swapped in a Dana 44 and 9" rear from a '79 F150.
Actually it depends on what axle you use. If you look at my Molasses project, I have a Superduty D60 in a bronco frame with no lift. (and no cutting of the crossmember)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have about $1200 tied up in the axle and lift, and I did all of the work myself.
And I have NO IDEA how you guys are getting away so damn cheap. My total is substantially higher than $1200. A few times that amount honestly. But I am counting everything it takes to do the job, so people can get a REAL world view using real world prices. While I am doing all of the work myself, I DID use Duff arms however, so that is something to consider compared to using stock arms, but my total is many times higher than that $800 purchase difference.

For an example, here is Mike Gunn's total (albeit from 2006):

And even THAT is not "right." $15 for a PAIR of ball joints? $11 for a PAIR of u-joints? I can't even STEAL them for that price! And included are new rims, but no mention of tires. This might be possible if you already have good tires of the proper height (like from a 6" TTB lift to a 6" SAS where you already had good 35's and just wanted the right back spacing on the wheels).

So it all depends on what you have now and where you plan to go with it. I had 33's on a 2 1/2" TTB lift and am going to a 6" SAS, so I'm, including new 35's (and my 33's and TTB where both worn out at once, which prompted me to do this job now instead of continuing to wait).

Do NOT tread lightly into a SAS, for you will wind up with a large pile of parts and a large amount of frustration. :banghead

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have:

$150 in the complete axle, (including radius arms , radius arm brackets, and steering linkages)
$700 in lift (springs 6", drop pitman arm, shocks, adjustable 80-96 to 79 SAS drag link, sway bracket and adjustable sway bar)
$75 in the extended brake lines.
$150 in the axle rebuilt
Plus tax,& shipping

I have a shop with welders, truck lift, torch, and other tools. Which gave me the means to work on the SAS myself

This is not counting the $1200 in new tires and rims.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
I did my SAS on my 94 bronco for about $100.

Course I had 99% of the parts on my 85 I stripped out and crushed :)

·
Banned
676 Posts
I quit counting a long time ago. I told the wife when I'm done, I'll prolly be around $10,000 total. She said "why don't you just go buy a new truck" :doh0715: silly woman.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
The way that I look at my bronco, is that if I spend $25,000 or even $30,000 on it and I have a truck with everything important rebuilt, new, or restored, I am still coming out ahead. Try and buy a new vehicle built to your specs for that price. You probably would not be able to work on it as easily, the insurance would be much higher, you would not know it as well, and you would not have the pride of knowing that YOU built the truck. Plus with the way most of us build our trucks when we do a SAS, it will probably last much longer than a new truck.

·
Banned
676 Posts
The way that I look at my bronco, is that if I spend $25,000 or even $30,000 on it and I have a truck with everything important rebuilt, new, or restored, I am still coming out ahead. Try and buy a new vehicle built to your specs for that price. You probably would not be able to work on it as easily, the insurance would be much higher, you would not know it as well, and you would not have the pride of knowing that YOU built the truck. Plus with the way most of us build our trucks when we do a SAS, it will probably last much longer than a new truck.
$25,000 2 $30,000? hello boss, meet your favorite new employee. I will build you the absolute bronco of your dreams for that price! And I'll even drink all the beer that you can provide me, free of charge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts