Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Ford Bronco with 122,000 miles. I replaced the radius arm bushings in october w/ my autos teacher, then had to go to a shop to get it aligned. The shop told me my bearings also needed to be re-packed, so I had to pay to have that done too. A total of $300 on what should have been an $80 (or so I was quoted when I was calling around) alignment.
Last week...I started noticing a high pitched squeeking/squealing/whining moaning noise coming from the front. A friend helped me narrow it down..and he said it sounds like either a bad hub or bad bearing (the noise is only coming from the left front wheel. I did use 4x4 a lot this winter (so getting out and manually locking the hubs)
Is it safe to keep driving it for right now? Im not going on any multi-hour hauls, just driving to work and school. This week is finals week, and without my bronco I am SOL.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
how long ago did they repack the bearings? if it was just recently down I can pretty much say they over tightened them and you burned them up.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
they will probably tell you to scrub rocks. To me if it is making noise your running the risk of totally damaging alot more from not fixing it now.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
You could pull the hub out temporary, and cover the hole with some tape. Then drive it around to see if it went away, or still there. The truck can be driven without the hub as long as you don't losen the spindal nuts.

I'm gonna say it's the bearing(s) though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts