Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after reading about this for a while, my girl finally caught a bad case of the death wobble. With a twist:

I only experience the wobble when veering right on the freeway between 45 and 55 mph. the wobble is unreal. feels like the truck is going to wipe out. it stops when I turn it quickly to the left.

So tomorrow I put her up on stands to check it out. Any advice about what I'm looking for would be appreciated. I already am going to check the obvious like linkage and to see if the wheels have play in them. Anything else?

Also, has anyone cured this by simply buying new tires? I had something like this on my old lifted nissan and after jacking it up, aligning it professionally, it turns out that it went away after a new set of rubber. Although the death wobble on that truck was while going straight.

thanks gang

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
New tires are only a band aid. I use to get wobble in my old honda cause it needed an alignment and everytime I got new tires it went away.

Check the entire steering linkage. Just work your way from the steering column down seeing where more play shows up. The tie rod ends are particular points of failure (probably in your "obvious" list). It might turn out that the big problem is the play in your steering (was the case with my truck) and your wheels being out of alignment at all is magnified by the amount of steering slop. Maybe not, but it was the case for me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I inspected the linkage. Everything checks out but the axle pivot bushings. Both bushings are broken. The driver's side looks really bad like it's shredded inside the mount.

Is this a cause of death wobble? I'm assuming so since everything else looks pretty tight. Looks like the previous owner replaced the radius arm bushings with polyurethane.

Plan of action: replace the axl pivot bushings (searched and found some good TTB write-ups), and then have the truck professionally aligned.

any other thoughts?

I'll try posting pics later.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Get poly units that are greaseable !

I got a pair when I changed teh sway bar and radius arm bushings, but my axle pivots were still good so I didn't bother yet.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the suggestion sixlitre. got a reference where I can get some? I'm online now searching for APBs.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,719 Posts
that would be your problem. i had a similar problem on my F250 and it happened to be that 2 of the 4 bolts holding the pass side pivot bracket had sheared off and the other two were close to coming unthreaded. i fixed that in a hurry!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
thanks for the suggestion sixlitre. got a reference where I can get some? I'm online now searching for APBs.
Energy suspension

for a fitment chart. Then take the numbers over to Summit and plug them in.

Sixlitre

1 - 9 of 9 Posts