Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 XLT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is where to discuss this but I am hopeful of helping someone else from the headaches that I have faced. I am thankful that my bronco is not my daily drive or I would be extremely upset.
I have now ordered a ECU/PCM from two different companies and both have jerked me around!
The first was Flagship1 they had my money for over a month and a half and never provided my ECU they finally asked me to send my old one in and they would see if they could get it working. Not what I paid for at all!!
The second company was All Computers out of Florida. I called them and spoke to them and was assured that they had a good one in stock and would have it reprogrammed and sent out in 3 business days or less. Over a week later I get a call saying they needed my old one so they could reprogram it and send it back because what they had was faulty!! Again not what I paid for! So two month later I still do not have my ECU.
Good luck all.

·
Super Moderator
29,768 Posts
Yo WalkingW,
Thanks for the reviews!
Other member have replaced at least the caps and resistors.
Consider this 87-96 Capacitor Repair Kit @ Amazon.com: 1987-1996 Ford ECU Capacitor Repair Kit : Automotive
Or;

VERY GOOD FEED BACK! $10.10/ea. FREE Standard Shipping | See details USA INCLUDED

$12.99 INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED!

Some REPAIR articles;
Capacitor Repair in a 90 5.8
Source: by seedpress (dolittle)

Be well!

·
Super Moderator
29,768 Posts
And for future issues;
Although relatively inexpensive, I would avoid Cardone reman PCMs.
Consider;
AES Modules @ AES Modules | Rebuilt & Reman Control Modules

ProTech Auto Systems @ Ford Car Computer Repairs for ECU, PCU & TCU
¤
Member jermil01 wrote, "In the past I've bought an EEC from these guys before. Good service and fast turn around. Plug in your info and you'll quickly find what you're looking for: Price is pretty reasonable.."
1995 Ford Bronco 5.8L V8 Gas ECM/PCM
¤
G7 Computers @ How Does This Work?
Member jermil01 wrote, "I've used G7 in the past..good company and responsive. If your EEC has a faulty capacitor or resistor as is the case with most of them it's usually fixable as long as the board isn't damaged, but they need to have to be able to determine that. A while back I had a spare EEC I was going to send to them to have checked out, before I did, I snapped a pic of the board it had scorch mark. They said not to bother that the board was probably shot.."
Member gedebohls wrote, " i went with sending my ecu to G7 computers in Canandaigua, NY, the reason i went this way is because i send them my unit, i get my unit checked out 100% and they will then fix as needed. I like this bc I will know for sure if my ECU is or was bad, etc, and I get my ECU back fixed. the cost is $225 plus shipping one way, if nothing is wrong with my ECU i get 100% refund. Once i get my ECU back or get an update from G7 I will update."
Update; "I sent the EEC to be rebuilt by G7 computer and they quickly sent the EEC back saying they replaced a faulty resistor. When the EEC came back I still had the same issues with the bronco , and we spent a lot of time re testing and checking things to only determine that the only possible issue was a bad EEC, so back to G7 Computer. This time they determined a faulty Main processing chip, and stated that the damage was to extensive to replace the main chip, I get it; it is a computer sometimes it is hard to pin point an issue when it is intermittent. My question is; is it just not cost smart for a company like G7 to not want to replace the main chip, or can you just not replace the main chip? So in short G7 sent the EEC back to me and will credit $225 of the $250 saying they get a diagnostic fee of $25, which I also get , "Well sort of get". "
@ A 94 with a Gremlin

A neighbor used Module Master (208) 892-0764 Or toll free at (888) 892-0764
Has had good results!

A long time Ford mechanic wrote, "The main causes of failure is water in the PCM connector or capacitor failure inside of the PCM. Make sure you have enough Di-Electric Grease in the plug to waterproof it."

Absent member Fireguy50 (Ryan M) wrote in his "install a chip" article @ Fuel Injection Technical Library » install a chip
"DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE TAPE TO SEAL THE COMPUTER. TOO MUCH TAPE WILL CAUSE THE COMPTUER TO OVERHEAT!" The tape and a piece of foam was to be places around the chip J3 port, but can be applied to the case itself.

In an old ford truck forum that is now off line. "The water leakage may be due to the PCM connector cover not seating completely and water leaking down from the cowl panel grille (cowl top vent panel) area."
Check Hood Cowl Rubber seal.

Good fortune!

Reactions: WalkingW

·
Premium Member
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
272 Posts
I had to replace the EEC in my '89 FSB a couple of years ago. I tried several local parts houses to no avail. I went to the Ford dealer and the parts counter folks told me it was no longer available from Ford. They wrote down a cross-reference number and told me to take that to O'Reilly and have them order that. Had it in my hands two days later and it works like a charm.
TB

Reactions: miesk5 and WalkingW

·
Registered
94 XLT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yo WalkingW,
Thanks for the reviews!
Other member have replaced at least the caps and resistors.
Consider this 87-96 Capacitor Repair Kit @ Amazon.com: 1987-1996 Ford ECU Capacitor Repair Kit : Automotive
Or;

VERY GOOD FEED BACK! $10.10/ea. FREE Standard Shipping | See details USA INCLUDED

$12.99 INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED!

Some REPAIR articles;
Capacitor Repair in a 90 5.8
Source: by seedpress (dolittle)

Be well!
Thank you! I will redo mine so I will have a backup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts