Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday while driving up the freeway my power steering goes out and I pull over to the side of the road. Pop the hood and notice my belt is all twisted and very loose... then I notice that the tensioner pulley is MIA, so some poor driver got a 3" disk of metal flying at them I assume...

The highway patrol shows up and calls for a tow truck, when they get there I give them my AAA card and he says it isn't going through. So he calls and they tell him that I canceled the card. Now why the hell would I cancel my AAA card, it's current till Aug of 04!?!?!! I ask if I can get this worked out and they say not over the phone it all has to be done at the office... which is closed till Monday. So I'm pissed to hell and since I have no choice but to tow it home I let him hitch it up. $241 and 20 miles later my ride is at home still dripping coolant (Overheated when I stopped) I make a list of parts and run on down to CQ to get everything.

So it takes about 10 minutes to figure out that the tensioner is reverse threaded :banghead and the idler goes on in about a minute (After I dug up a T47bit). Slap on a new belt and I'm happy, engine cranks up fine and I'm hungry so I take him for a test drive down to Del Taco. About half way there I'm overheating.. now I've had a coolant leak for the last two weeks and thought I had fixed it when I replaced a busted hose but apparently I missed another leak...

After babying it home I start looking around for the new leak and notice it's spraying from somewhere behind the power steering pump. So I rip the A/C and PS pump off and can't find where it was leaking... then I leaned over to look at something and I crush the upper radiator hose and a blast of hot air burns my other hand... the culprit? My freeze plug had a hole the size of a BB in it. So back to CQ for some more parts.

This freeze plug came out really easily but did NOT want to go back in and since I had to room to swing a hammer (Too lazy to fully remove the PS pump) I ended up taking a 6ft long piece of pipe inside a socket and pounded it with a dead blow hammer and it popped right in. Button it all back up and replaced the upper radiator hose and thermo while I was at it as both were the stock ones from '94.

The truck is running a lot better than it did before and even sounds a bit quieter. All in all it took me about three hours with parts and food runs.

Now I have to deal with AAA and get them to pay for most of this freaking tow charge... bastards :boxing

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I'm really glad it was nothing serious. I pulled over as soon as it started acting funny, driving much further would've probaby killed something else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts