Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i just purchased a 86 4x4 bronco with the 5.0 .. bought it off a tow yard. Well it had been sitting for 1yr plus... acording to the tow yard guy. He got it to start and it ran fine, for 3 days of good use, cruise and bruise , i took it easy . wanted to give it a tune up. put new oil and coolant. i was driving it and went home turned it off to grab some cash. went to crank it no start just crank. Checked the spark (good spark) checked fuel pressure "38". Feul pump works great. fuel squirts from the rail . so i thought fuel pressure regulater , nope .. finally gave up and took it to ford dealership service.... 2 days later , I get a phone call saying all is perfect all relays pumps hoses, just contaminated fuel. My question is ......... If i put 35 dllrs of fuel in before and ran it to almost empty why would the fuel be bad, yes it had 1yr plus fuel in it but i put 91 octane, to help it out. so is it bad fuel... some one help me out plz.... with my bronco and (grammer) hahah seriously

·
Registered
331 Posts
that new fuel probably cleaned up what was an empty tank, and any oxidation/mud/crud/rats nest that was in there before probably came off the inner walls and clogged up the sock around the fuel pickup in your tank...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but fuel still squirts out the fuel rail. I cant figure this beast out, spark , fuel, pressure, its all there? why doesnt it just crank over. it was running perfect, perfect no miss fires , perfect , i just turned it off and jumped off ran inside cuz i left the keyin the the ignition. when i went to crank her up , nothin..... just crank and crank and crank...... its wierd if i drop a lil bit of fuel in the intake it turns on for a split sec. thats wut gots me confused, ford says its contaminated fuel and wants me to shell out 680 dllrs for a fuel system drain. I looked at the tech and said your crazy. dropping the tank and bleeding the gas lines is maybe a 5 hr job. I can do that, i just dont want to waste time on that i dont believe the contaminated fuel story, the pump works wich means i got pressure and the fuel filter is good if gas squirts from the rail. new fuel pressure regulator is in. its funny cuz the license plate had TOW spelled right in the middle..hahahha

·
Registered
331 Posts
another thing if fuel had been sitting a long time its possible that some water seperated out of the fuel and/or condensation had accumulated inside and you had enough water there to choke the engine... Christy's Dry Gas in a yellow bottle might have prevented this but it sounds better to me than failing parts...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts