Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Search for "ultimate mpg" and you should find a thread with all our mods for mpg.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts

·
Lick my balls
12,958 Posts
Always start with a tune up and make sure you have the proper tire pressure. If you've done those already, then take the weights off your foot.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Wheel bearings, dragging brakes, and low tire pressure are the key culprits. I normally get almost 20mpg and ran 8 on my last tank because i have one wheel bearing growling. I have the parts, just haven't had the time to replace it.

"Little" things can make a huge difference.

Justin

·
Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts
Wheel bearings, dragging brakes, and low tire pressure are the key culprits. I normally get almost 20mpg and ran 8 on my last tank because i have one wheel bearing growling. I have the parts, just haven't had the time to replace it.

"Little" things can make a huge difference.

Justin
Gonna grease them inner spindle bearings whilst yer' in there Hoxviii ?

Go for synthetic grease too

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Gonna grease them inner spindle bearings whilst yer' in there Hoxviii ?

Go for synthetic grease too

Sixlitre

Of course. No reason to go that far and not at least look at them. they're only about 8 months old, but since there just really isn't any place to keep a good amount of grease they do tend to dry out prematurely.

I replaced them when I swapped the TTB in, but the wheelbearings are the same ones that were in my red truck when it got wrecked, so they have about 50k on them.

Justin

·
Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts
Of course. No reason to go that far and not at least look at them. they're only about 8 months old, but since there just really isn't any place to keep a good amount of grease they do tend to dry out prematurely.

I replaced them when I swapped the TTB in, but the wheelbearings are the same ones that were in my red truck when it got wrecked, so they have about 50k on them.

Justin
Sounds good Hoxviii

I replaced my original wheel bearings(?) about 5 years ago with American made Timkens. Turned out to be the same price as off shore units anyway.

I remember somebody here mentioning a way to drill for a zerk fitting to fill the area around the inner spindle bearings.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
wow, 68% is one hell of an improvement for our rigs.
Ehh, not really. Depends on what mileage he started at. There really isn't any reason that one of these trucks can't get 15mpg in correct tune and driving style.

If he started at 10, a 68% increase takes you to 16.8. Pretty decent mileage, but not that much of an increase over the initial 10 or the 15 the truck could get anyway.

Now if he was getting 15 and could document a 68% increase, I'd be damn impressed with that (that'd be 25.2).

Just with a bum wheel bearing I've lost 56% economy, but will see a 125% increase by repairing it (8 vs. 18).

Justin

·
Slow Noob
1,236 Posts
the last time i drove my bronco it was getting about 10 mpg, i think my f150 is getting around that at the moment.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,114 Posts
A lot of people

driving any kind of car/truck would kill for even a 10% improvement.

Most of us have Broncos with older plug wires and ignition components. Even the best of us will get at least a 10% improvement with this $140.00 outlay in parts and a half an afternoon's labor.

I have seen a lot of guys get 25%, 50% and 68% better mileage from this trick.

It's getting to the point where the parts required are almost the same price as a tank or two of gasoline.

No question a better Y-pipe and more efficient cat are number two in mileage increases and should be done as soon as the "Sixlitre tune up" has saved you enough gas to afford the Y-pipe.

It took me a year of improvements, but when I started I was getting 11 mpg and when I finished I had hit a record 21.6 mpg.

More importantly I could get 16-19 mpg during every day lead footed driving.

Don't delay do it or order the parts today !

Sixlitre

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.