Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filled my 1994 stock 351 with 29 gallons of gas about 2 weeks ago and drove home. The next day I get in it to run to store and I didn't even get out of the driveway before it quit. Started up fine but then just died. Tried a couple of times over the next couple of days to start it with no luck. Suspected maybe the gas but decided to check the ignition first. While I was checking the ignition it fired right up. Ran just fine, let it idle for about 10 minutes and then it just died. then started back up. ran for awhile then died. Sometimes it runs rough then struggles and dies, other times it just quits like I turned off the ignition. Somtimes it will run great for 20 minutes other times 2. This has been going on now for 2 weeks. Also syphoned some gas to look at it in a white bucket and didn't see any water or crap. Maybe I should the gas in the lawn mower and see if it likes it.

Tried a fuel filter and since I had them, an ignition control module and coil. Any thoughts before I drain about 29 gallons of gas ($100.00) out of her?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Need more info. Have you had a tune up lately?, Have you changed your fuel filter lately.? Whats the over all condition of your fuel lines etc? How was it running before? Have you done any other work around the truck wich may have caused some loose connections. Is the gas tank the original one? Is it possible forieghn materials could have been dumped into your gas tank?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel pump is working fine good. I changed the fuel pump about 6 months ago and the inside of the tank looked clean. It had been running just fine until I filled up with gas. Tune up (plugs, wires, rotor, cap) about a year ago and I have not put very many miles on it. I have not checked fo codes because the MIl has not come on when I have gotten it to run, but I will now.

filter was changed 3 days ago after the trouble started.

·
Registered
550 Posts
jboothe said:
The only code that I got other than the 111 System Ok was a Continuous Memory DTC ... Code 212-Loss of IDM input to PCM or SPOUT circuit grounded.

Any thoughts?
Sounds to me like maybe your SPOUT signal is being shorted out.
SPOUT controls ignition timing. There should be a little connector plug in the ignition wiring harness. Locating that should get you started on the search.

·
Registered
263 Posts
to rule out fuel pour in some HEET or something of the that sort

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
i would dup some octane booster or something like that in it if that works then it is your fuel. also make sure your fuel filter is good.

FYI on a 94 your spout connector is on the drivers side panel near the firewall. it is a little gray plug

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Looking at the gas won't tell you if there's water in it though, now thanks to our lovely new addition, Ethanol! Though I don't know if it could possibly absorb that much water that it would cause your truck to run that way, it might make it run crappy, but I dont think it would cause it to not run at all.

If anything, I'd say it probably wasnt something wrong with the gas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts