Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone, on my f150, (93/5.8/e4od 4x4) im having a sorta scary problem, when driving any speed above like 40, when coming out of coasting and back onto the throttle, i get a vibration like driving on a washboard dirt road. happens alot at 60-65. sometimes all i have to do is let off the throttle and get back on again, and it goes away, sometimes i do that 3 or 4 times to make it go away, or i let off and punch it and it goes away.

today something else happend that made me more concerned, i got a few loud pretty violent clunks (felt like the truck was comin out from under me), then what sounded like a loose chain on a atv, until i got on the brakes, had a little clunk, then it went away for the entire rest of my ride home (10 miles)

ive inspected most of what i can, driveshaft doesnt seem to have any play, rear bushings seem pretty shot but i wouldnt think they would do that, the chain sound made me think Transfercase?? but idk, radius arm bushings seem new (theyre red) axle pivot bushings need work, and i couldnt check bj's cause no jack.

so what im askin is what do yall think it is?
(im using this f150 as my main transport now since i am starting to pull the motorand trans out of the bronco, and my lincoln keeps over heating.)

almost forgot, i pulled codes, nothing except system pass

·
Registered
199 Posts
Suspension bushings, motor mounts, trans mount, u joints, rear u-bolts, axle shims, tie rod ends... Depending on the age of the rig and how it was treated, it could be all or most of these working together against you.

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ you rhymed, but ill go check the pinion out, aside from bushings i cant see anything physically wrong otherwise, i kinda hope the pinion isnt bad because i was hoping to use this rear end in my diesel bronco since the axle in it has a bit of endplay and clunks if you rock it back and forth

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i dont know if for did the same thing on the f150 as the rangers, but it could be a drive shaft support bearing to, (if the rear driveshaft has 2 pieces instead of 1 tube

·
Registered
199 Posts
Where do you feel the vibes? In the steering wheel, at your feet, in the seat, from behind you, in the front? This will usually point you in the right direction, or at least give you a place to start. A u joint about to fail can feel like a tire that is badly out of balance; a wasted trans mount can make some nice clunking noises when taking off from a stop or under heavy load; a pillow block with poly bushing that's smooshed can let the drive line move around and slap the underside like an angry pimp... If you really have no idea, just start wrapping $100 bills around parts until it rides the way you want.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would replace the u joints. It is a cheap fix, especially if you have never replaced them. They can clunk when under load, not when coasting and vice versa. Unlock the hubs in two wheel drive to isolate the rear shaft...good luck

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vibes are felt in rear, clunk i cant determine, it is almost like front and rear at the same time, i did some more inspecting, the autohubs up front are NOT disengaging, ever.
i completly disconected the rear D/S but its fine. the pinion has some rotational play, but all axles do that, so im runnin out of ideas, i noticed the engine and trans are slightly leaning to the pass side, so maybe, just maybe, ther could be a squishy mount or ??

·
Registered
816 Posts
get those hubs off and put the manuals on, see if it helps to have it disengaged.

-your bronco(s) have manuals dont they?

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the one bronco has 5bolt auto hubs (EWWWW) the old one (90) has warn standards, (but i cant wait till my gold warn premiums come in for the 95:)

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok put the warn standards on the f1shiddy, and even disco'd the front ds, i nolonger get the rattly chain noise, but i still am having the vibration, i noticed it seems to happen as soon as i am getting back on the throttle after coasting, only does it maybe 1/3 off all times.

could the tq/c cause this?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but have you checked the t-case fluid? What about the diff fluids?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You mentioned you didn't have jack to check ball joints. Checking your drivelines, t case, and rear axle bearings is easier done with the weight of the truck off the tires, also t case in nuetral. Get the tension off everything and you'll find stuff easier. Be sure your t case is fully engaged while driving.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Check the Transfer case... sounds like the insides are coming apart, i had a similar issue.. on the road let off the gas - hit the gas at speed and it would vibrate, clunking etc...

took me months to find the out it was the Tcase.. I eventually put the truck on jack stands all four corners and put it in gear (4WD & 2WD) and listened...

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tcase cant go nuetral, its elec 4x4, but i got it in the air, bjs are good, front ujoints are good.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well atleast the hubs fixed part of the problem.

I would crack open that T case and see whats up

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had some vibration that disappeared when I clocked the rear axle to correct the rear pinion/yoke to drive line angle for the 4" lift.

·
Registered
173 Posts
something is worn or out of whack as in balance out. my oem driveshaft had weights welded on it, maybe one flew off? look for a spot weld with no round weight left on

im having the exact same problem.

·
I Paid for this sh!t
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok completely disconeccted the rear D/s and drove it around, the vibration is still there but very very much less severe, can hardly feel it, as where before it was like a washboard

1 - 20 of 25 Posts