Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I topped off my radiator on Saturday, and I rushed and forgot to put the radiator cap back on. Long story short, I started overheating last night because water was coming out, I threw a gallon in it, drove to 7-11 and the only coolant they had was the green stuff. It said it was for ford 2000 and earlier, and I had previously put Peak Yellow, safe to mix with any color. Anyways, it took another gallon of that and then it was full. I drove home. When I woke up this morning there was a big puddle under the car. I looked at it after work and the pump is leaking from between the pump and the pump plate. The weep hole was dry. It is a pretty steady leak, probably a drop a second. So I have a few questions here. One, would the green coolant cause the gasket to leak? Two, if I take the pump off and find out it is the gasket, should I just replace the gasket? Three, should I just replace the pump?

How about getting this pump, instead of the regular pump?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_01398_1106064_3069&pt=01398&ppt=C0331

So thanks for the help.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The type of coolant wont make your WP leak. Fords have another weep in the front cover it is just a groove that will leak out whenever the pump is going South.

I cant find any better pics.

·
I see Broncos
6,012 Posts
Mixing the two coolants won't cause a leak, likely it was the cavitation of the water pump impeller due to the absence of coolant and pressure that finished off the gasket.

As for the two different colors of coolant question the danger of mixing incompatible coolants is they basically cancel out their methods of corrosion protection. In essence don't mix anything with the orange stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
I run g-05 zerex in all my OBS ford trucks. 50/50 ratio.

All that peak/preston/off name brand (green) store coolant is dexcool clones.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
All that peak/preston/off name brand (green) store coolant is dexcool clones.
o rly? because all the green coolant is ethylene glycol, and has been around for DECADES before dexcool was released.

dexcool is propylene glycol.

so please, how is ethylene glycol (green) a clone of propylene glychol (dexcool)???? :popc1:

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
o rly? because all the green coolant is ethylene glycol, and has been around for DECADES before dexcool was released.

dexcool is propylene glycol.

so please, how is ethylene glycol (green) a clone of propylene glychol (dexcool)???? :popc1:
I think he was referring to the Peak, Preston, etc., replica's of dexcool. Not the yellow stuff. They all make a version of dexcool, as well as the regular stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts