Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..Turning wasn't a breeze but it was very doable with the old steering gear box. The pump provided some screaming and slight restriction, but it got the job done. This apparently isn't a sag.

Since there's slop in the original box, decided to swap in a good box.

Before I had the chance to swap the boxes, I had the hard line hose running from the pump off and I started the truck on some random day to move it, totally forgetting about the line and no steering. (Moved in a straight line so it never hit me.) Anyway, I went in today to change out the boxes and found that the spring and valve(?) had popped out of the pump. I made sure they were clean and placed them back into the pump, spring first then the valve(?), and then connected the hose back to it.

Hooked up the lines to the new box, and filled up the ol' pump. Turns like a dream when the tires are off the ground, but when I place them back on the ground, I don't even wanna try forcing it to turn.

I turned the tires several times to clear the lines, and ran the truck for a while, but I still get the same thing.

So, this brings me forth to my questions:

1: When the spring and it's pal jumped out of the pump, is there something else that I may have lost as well? From Steve's diagram (Search is pretty), looks like those are the only two items in there.

2: Is it possible that I hooked the hoses to the wrong ports on the box; The hard line goes in the lowest/farthest port that's farthest from the steering shaft, while the other goes into the closest/top port to the steering shaft?

From the gist of it, I believe the hoses are properly hooked up because if I remember correctly, the ports are different in size. I at least had to use two different wrenches.

I'm asking as if I don't know, because it's dark and awfully cold outside, and pretty sure I'm correct, I've been wrong though-on extremely rare occasions.

3: Did the pump just say what the hell you go fixin' sumin for and decided to kill itself?

I should just upgrade the pump, I know but it's rather hard finding a bracket for a 360/390 block and I'm rather poor, anyway.

BONUS QUESTION:
I also have this hose that magically appeared to me when I popped the hood. It's coming from the fire wall right next to the booster, and I'm not quite sure where it came from. No suction makes me think it's not a vacuum hose.

It's thin and.. well.. you know.. Black.

Thanks.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Red, I'm not sure if I had cruise or not, but I do wish I took better pics, heh.

As for the pump, it's all correctly hooked up to my knowledge, and does turn the animal when I have some move, but the pump is dieing to begin with so, I'll just opt for another pump when I get the cash, or Jon could just give me his.:toothless

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I can drive my truck without the worry of being flinged into on coming traffic, I noticed the truck started to die on me. This has never happened to me since I got the new(to me) carb.

I was talking to a co-worker and he mentioned that my hose, which magically appeared out of nowhere, may be the culprit. Any ideas on that?

Getting tiresome fixing one thing after the other...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts