Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck started runing rough last thursday thought maybe it was a bad tank of gas or something, cause the engine light wasnt coming on. well it continued throught the weekend. sat night I hooked up my fuel guage to see if it was a fuel issue. was holding at 32psi while idleing and would jump to 40 if I reved the motor. Figured that seamed a little odd so I went ahead and ordered a BBK fuel pressure reg. sunday it was buging me more so went to advanced auto and purchased a scanner and hooked it up and found a code p0385. monday morning I called up my ford dealer and ordered a new crankshaft position sensor. Got it that evening and installed it yesterday. ran great for a good portion of the day. than in hte evening went out and it started acting up again. today hooked up the scanner and it's got a code P0300. I had just done the sixlitre tuneup minus the timing adjustment back in april. put in 8mm wires, msd cap and rotor, autolite plugs, MSD coil (stock replacement), new ignition module from Ford. im not smeling any rotten egg smell from my exhaust......been thinkin about going out and getting some new motorcraft plugs to replace the autolites....any sugestions on where I should go on this? Going to be looking around for a vacum leak next cause a few times it was starting rought it backfired and blew off a vacum hose that connects from the throttle body to a valve that has a line going to the charcoal canister.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,824 Posts
sounds like a timing issue at this point.

whats your fuel pressure like now that you changed the FPR?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel psi is about 35 psi. I think I may have repaired the issue now thought. I went and sprayed the maf with some carb/throttle body cleaner and seams to be starting and running good now. Will see what happens later on tonight when the engine is cold. Timing is actualy computer controled. It's a 96. I'm thinkin atm that the maf might of got gumed up after a few backfires it had while it was runing rought, I know a few times it blew off the smal hose that connects from the throttle body to the charcol canaster valve off the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I still have the stumbling issue, It seams to happen only when the engine is cold. once warmed up it shuts off and starts up fine and revs fine and drives fine. I had change the ignition module last month just out of maintaince and has been runin fine till recently.

kemicalburns mentioned it may be a timing issue.....possibly the tooth ring in the distributor is having issues? any thoughts on this?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,824 Posts
have you pulled codes?

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Ok so I still have the stumbling issue, It seams to happen only when the engine is cold. once warmed up it shuts off and starts up fine and revs fine and drives fine. I had change the ignition module last month just out of maintaince and has been runin fine till recently.

kemicalburns mentioned it may be a timing issue.....possibly the tooth ring in the distributor is having issues? any thoughts on this?
Sounds like the coil to me. Have auto zone check it for free.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
The 0300 code (random misfire) is a pretty tricky code to deal with. Do check the coil; I've heard that MSD has 'issues' with quality. Accel also makes a stock-replacement performance coil, and they do have a very good rep. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Damn, I don't know how I got to this thread. At least I was right though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts