Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I order a wheel/tire package from Summit. Nothing fancy, just some black steel wheels and some 31x10.50 15 BFG's. Mounting and balancing included according to the site. When I get the wheels, no wheel weights anywhere. Now I haven't put them on yet, so they could very well be balanced, but curiosity got to me, so I hopped on their chat support. See below:

Merit: Hi, my name is Merit. How may I help you?
Jon: I had a question about a tire/wheel package I just received from Summit
Jon: I noticed none of the wheels had weights on them. I haven't installed the wheels on the vehicle yet. Were they balanced? According to the package description on the site they're supposed to be, but with no weights on the wheels I don't understand how they could have been balanced.
Merit: yes they were mounted and balanced
Jon: I'm just curious as to how that's possible with no visible wheel weights on the wheel anywhere.
Merit: I am not sure. You could always take it to the local garage and have it checked
Jon: ok. Thanks.

That is not the response I was expecting. After I was told to take it elsewhere to have it checked I just disconnected. No need in trying to get an explanation out of "Merit". I thought maybe there was some new way of balancing and he would explain it. Instead I'm told to take it to a garage and have it checked? Isn't balancing part of the package that I paid for?

So what gives gurus? Am I crazy and/or uninformed of a new technology to balance wheels/tires?

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
did they use the "stick on" weights on the inside of the rim? I doubt the bead balanced them.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,210 Posts
no way they would have bead balanced 31's...

Jon: I'm just curious as to how that's possible with no visible wheel weights on the wheel anywhere.
Merit: I am not sure. You could always take it to the local garage and have it checked

after he said you could take it to a local garage to have it checked, I would have asked to speak to a supervisor...that's ridiculous..you paid for mounted/balanced tires, you shouldn't have to take it to a freaking garage to have them confirm that...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no way they would have bead balanced 31's...

after he said you could take it to a local garage to have it checked, I would have asked to speak to a supervisor...that's ridiculous..you paid for mounted/balanced tires, you shouldn't have to take it to a freaking garage to have them confirm that...
I'm gonna get in touch with customer service and give them a copy of that chat session. I was more than a little shocked when I got that response. Felt like I was talking to :clavin

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,715 Posts
Yeah, I agree with all the above. I would have asked to speak to a supervisor or asked if they were going to pay you to take them to a "local garage and have it checked" ?

I would do what you said and contact their customer service and show them that chat. Good thing you copied that... :rockon

Good Luck and keep us informed as to what they tell you.

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,091 Posts
I do not think it is possible to get four really good ones, but I have gotten 1 bfg mounted and balanced at Tire Rack that required no wheel weights, it was a 31 or the metric equivalent of

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is their response. I've never had a problem with Summit and this is a response that will keep me going back to them. It just sucks that I have to jump through hoops to get the job done.

Jon,

I appreciate your feedback and I am sorry to hear that your wheels arrived without weights indicating that they may not have been balanced. I will go over this LiveChat with Merit to make sure similar responses to these types of questions do not happen again in the future.

I would be happy to cover the cost of you needing to have these wheels and tire balanced locally. Please just provide me a copy of the bill for this service and I can have this refunded back to the Mastercard you used for this order.

Again I am sorry for the inconvenience and extra work this will require on your end.

We appreciate your business.
Thank you,
Oscar
Summit Racing Equipment

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Nice :thumbup Good to know that good guys are still out there.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
If no static balance, or sticky weights it's possible for bead balance. You could hear the bags or beads rolling in them maybe. Have a tire shop break one down maybe and look inside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts