Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moog lists K8194T and K8195T for greasable replacement bushings for our trucks. My question is whether these parts will provide good service in a dual duty (street and offroad) truck with 35" tires. The Spicers are generally good for 100,000 miles, but their quality has declined through a series of mergers. The AC Delco and NAPA premium line parts look nice enough, but few seem to be running them.

I looked up Synergy, Carli, and Dynatrac, but I don't see part numbers that would work for our trucks. Synergy has a part, but has discontinued them.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have been running the same moogs for 23 yrs now,BUT,they were made when quality was good
running 33 on mostly streetfighter, seen some mud and pretty hard dune time

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have not heard of declining quality at Spicer, please elaborate.

Aside from the positive camber, my Spicers are holding up well. I put them in several years ago....what I remember about the job is that I do not want to do it again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
ggg

There are two center ports, a lower rectangular port and an upper round port. The round one is the one in question. There is no mating port in the intake for the round one, the pan gasket blocked it off I think.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not heard of declining quality at Spicer, please elaborate.

Aside from the positive camber, my Spicers are holding up well. I put them in several years ago....what I remember about the job is that I do not want to do it again!
I'm an engineer, but only an electrical one. I have friends who run and own automotive repair shops that I wheel with occasionally. These guys are telling me the same story, that the newly manufactured Spicer ball joints have gone to crap, essentially. They're telling me this based on customers who have come back for ball joint replacement much sooner than normally expected. Two of my friends' shops have transitioned to using Moog joints exclusively now, despite the grease channel potentially making them slightly weaker.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,091 Posts
another option http://bonefishfab.com/
Not totally sold on the design due to the way it loads one joint but they are another option none the less. Interesting thread about them on pirate somewhere

I will be doing this to mine soon so am curious what you end up going with.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another option http://bonefishfab.com/
Not totally sold on the design due to the way it loads one joint but they are another option none the less. Interesting thread about them on pirate somewhere

I will be doing this to mine soon so am curious what you end up going with.
That's an interesting find. A bit pricey, but if they're worth their salt then they're worth it, right?

My understanding of how ball joints fail is pretty minimal, but from what I can tell it's corrosion of the joint that ultimately kills them. That's the reason why Moog implements grease ports to refresh the lube surrounding the ball in each joint. Regular maintenance and they're supposed to last a long time. Now I'm a bit on the fence regarding whether I should jump for greaseless or greaseable joints.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I'm an engineer, but only an electrical one. I have friends who run and own automotive repair shops that I wheel with occasionally. These guys are telling me the same story, that the newly manufactured Spicer ball joints have gone to crap, essentially. They're telling me this based on customers who have come back for ball joint replacement much sooner than normally expected. Two of my friends' shops have transitioned to using Moog joints exclusively now, despite the grease channel potentially making them slightly weaker.
Interesting....I hope they did not move mfg off shore.

Did your auto shop friends mention if these customers are having problems with the dana 44 specifically? Is the problem isolated to new "heeps" or is it across the board?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting....I hope they did not move mfg off shore.

Did your auto shop friends mention if these customers are having problems with the dana 44 specifically? Is the problem isolated to new "heeps" or is it across the board?
They just said that the Spicer joints are no longer the quality they used to be. Didn't mention whether it was a Dana 44 specific fitment that was the issue or anything else.

·
Registered
178 Posts
just curious here, but have you decided on what ball joints you are going to run?? I just ordered all new moogs, i can give you some feedback when they arrive, if it helps.

anyways keep us posted on what you decide. i like what you do to your Bronco and am curious the route your going to take with these.

have a good one

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,091 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
They just said that the Spicer joints are no longer the quality they used to be. Didn't mention whether it was a Dana 44 specific fitment that was the issue or anything else.
Hope that didn't carry over to their U-joints, as that is the only thing I run.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope that didn't carry over to their U-joints, as that is the only thing I run.
One can only hope it's a different division! As far as U-joints are concerned however, I've gone through several sets of Spicer joints and finally settled on Neapco parts. I've not had a single failure yet, although the joints I'm running are greasable and I service them every 3000 miles or so with some Mobil1 synthetic grease.

I ordered some Moog Problem Solver parts (K8195T and K8194T) to redo my upper and lower ball joints. The design of the parts looks good and I think renewable grease in the joints makes a lot of sense if you use your truck offroad at all.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those alloy usa ones look like a decent choice, Since the others are not available any longer and I am unsure on the bonefish ones. I think I am going to get the alloy usa ones, thanks for posting the link
Alloy USA = Made in China

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
One can only hope it's a different division! As far as U-joints are concerned however, I've gone through several sets of Spicer joints and finally settled on Neapco parts. I've not had a single failure yet, although the joints I'm running are greasable and I service them every 3000 miles or so with some Mobil1 synthetic grease.

I ordered some Moog Problem Solver parts (K8195T and K8194T) to redo my upper and lower ball joints. The design of the parts looks good and I think renewable grease in the joints makes a lot of sense if you use your truck offroad at all.
only thing I find with the upper joints,you cannot grease them once front half shafts are installed
the ball joint I installed came wit ha grease fitting and a plug,you greased it up on install and installed the plug when before u assembled front driveshaft

I have a bunch of different grease nipple fittings and cannot get any to work in there,not even my needle one with the proper needle fitting on the ball joint

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
only thing I find with the upper joints,you cannot grease them once front half shafts are installed
the ball joint I installed came wit ha grease fitting and a plug,you greased it up on install and installed the plug when before u assembled front driveshaft

I have a bunch of different grease nipple fittings and cannot get any to work in there,not even my needle one with the proper needle fitting on the ball joint
Yeah, I imagine that clocking the joint where a grease gun can actually get it is pretty important. The upper joints I got have the grease port on the corner of the housing at a 45* angle.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yeah, I imagine that clocking the joint where a grease gun can actually get it is pretty important. The upper joints I got have the grease port on the corner of the housing at a 45* angle.
that is cool new design
my fitting is smack in the middle of the bottom,just like the lower one.but the joint is at least 23 yrs old

I think I would install fitting facing rearwards to help keep and water spray from the road from trying to enter it as it would be better protected

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts

Funny, all I've done with NEAPCO's is explode em.

Was along time ago on their supposedly "high strength" non greasables. But it was only 3 runs on a beater that saw no street miles, and only 36's with stock 351M, C6 and stock gears.

Are those moogs the same as the XRF's, or just the same PN's?

http://www.xrfchassis.com/parts-balljoints.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-...fits=Model:Bronco&hash=item4d06aa17c7&vxp=mtr

1 - 20 of 25 Posts