Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my lower ball joints. Should I replace the upper ones at the same time even though they are still good? This will be my first big attempt at doing my own work on my first rig. How long should I expect to take to complete the job?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Definately do all 4 while it's apart. I allow 2 days to do mine, one for tear down and installation of balljoints, one for reassembly. It can be done in 1 full day, but don't rush it. 2 days makes it comfortable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did mine in 1 day..... but i work on cars for a living..... would do all of them at one time..... you will also need to have yours aligned after you put the new ones in.... I just did mine in fact.... had to heat the nuts on the lower ones to get them off

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Yeah baby..... What they said!

Once you're that far into it, you might as well go ahead and replace all four.

........ever met "Murphy?"

I know that sucker seems to hang out around here alot.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Start spraying the threads/castle nuts with pb blaster or another penetrating oil now so it soaks in good before you're ready to start (and the camber bushings on the uppers). And yes definitely do all 4 while you have it apart.

·
Bronco Master
596 Posts
I would definately do all 4. The first time I did it, it was an ordeal. It took about 12 hours, but I was also swapping from the 87 flange hub setup to the 90 hub setup. The second time I did it (2 months ago) it was only a 2 hour thing, but I already had the beams off the truck to do the coilover setup.

Mitch

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ita a big job but it will save you big money! Do all four,get a c-press,the biggest vice you can find,the ford locknut socket,an impact wrench and a 3/4 inch drive wrench and socket set,thats what I used on my 86" and all is well.If Ford hasnt changed things since then you should be allright.Firestone wanted 350 bucks for the job and I would rather spend the money on tools!!! The hardest problem I had was getting everything off just to get to the steering knuckle.The spindles were great fun.Wooden block, bfg hammer,air hammer, but I finally got them off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts