Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dropping my truck off to have the ball joints replaced. What else should I have done while they are under the truck? (The brake pads were changed a couple of months ago, but I thinking shocks, brake lines and seals).

·
Not Frilly.
951 Posts
It would be a good idea to have your tie rods and wheel bearings changed too, depending on their condition, are the ball joints bad? does the truck squeak going down the road? They really arent difficult to do on your own you could save some pennies for other things.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I wouldn't call it "not difficult" to do on your own, but it is definitely possible and if you have the time to do it then it will save you a considerable amount of money. Of course if you have the extra cash to spend go for it, it will save you some cussing for sure... (or if the shop isn't charging much)

have ALL your bearings and seals replaced, you will need outer axle seals, as well as spindle seals, inner and outer wheel bearings and spindle bearings. as well as tie rod ends. Might as well do it all while you're having it done, especially the spindle bearings and dust shields since you have to remove all the hard parts to get to those again.

Put in quality ball joints, there are plenty of writeups on here about ball joints and what types are best, but don't count on the shop to do that, get all your own parts. Most shops will just get the cheapest they can get, then give them a hefty markup.

shocks and such are so easy to do yourself you should really consider that for yourself. but again, if you have the extra cash then get it all done...

good luck with your truck

·
Registered
41 Posts
i just finished my balljoints a few weeks ago, i redid my u joints, seals, and radius arm bushings too. figured id do it all while it was apart

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have the time or room and tools to do the work myself. It's just easier to drop off the truck and pick it up in a few days. Tie rods are a great idea, I completely forgot about them.

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
I also did my ball joints a few weeks ago in mine and my uncles. In his replaced the ball joints along with new tie-rods wheel bearings and axle pivot bushings.
Mine i only did the joints and the tie rod

-Vance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts