Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the ball joints in my 79 bronco, I know its a Dana 44 so I was wondering how to go about the operation, I have tried but only got to taking the locking hub off, so not far.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I need to replace the ball joints in my 79 bronco, I know its a Dana 44 so I was wondering how to go about the operation, I have tried but only got to taking the locking hub off, so not far.
Yeah I need to get mine swapped out too, hopefully I dont have to take everything apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
. Hubs calipers rotor first to come off

You need a press or a ball joint install/remover tool
The Lower ball joint has a snap ring retaining it on the bottom side of the knuckle Remove snap ring
Remove the cotter pin and castle nut
from upper ball joint
remove the threaded bushing in the axle that the upper ball joint is inserted into. Need a dana 44 bushing tool to remove. Looks like a castle. Don’t try to remove with hammer and screw driver. Bad idea
Remove lock nut lower ball joint
Use single jack on lower ball joint or ball joint tool to remove the knuckle and ball joints as one assembly
Then use a press to remove and install ball joints On the removed knuckle assembly Or a ball joint remover install tool. install the knuckle with the fresh ball joints back on the axle
Stick with Dana spicer joints
this is a great time to correct camber with Degreed axle bushings if your tires are 35 or larger. And wear on the outside

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
. Hubs calipers rotor first to come off

You need a press or a ball joint install/remover tool
The Lower ball joint has a snap ring retaining it on the bottom side of the knuckle Remove snap ring
Remove the cotter pin and castle nut
from upper ball joint
remove the threaded bushing in the axle that the upper ball joint is inserted into. Need a dana 44 bushing tool to remove. Looks like a castle. Don’t try to remove with hammer and screw driver. Bad idea
Remove lock nut lower ball joint
Use single jack on lower ball joint or ball joint tool to remove the knuckle and ball joints as one assembly
Then use a press to remove and install ball joints On the removed knuckle assembly Or a ball joint remover install tool. install the knuckle with the fresh ball joints back on the axle
Stick with Dana spicer joints
this is a great time to correct camber with Degreed axle bushings if your tires are 35 or larger. And wear on the outside
That's clears so much up! When I tried before I got the little hub off and the silver gear thing out, but i couldnt figure out how to get the snap ring that was tucked back there out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts