Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im wondering if 1985 ford broncos with the 302 5.0 litre EFI have a ballast resistor on them? im having a problem where ive burned out about 4 coils now and was told that might be the problem.... any ideas????

·
Registered
199 Posts
Timing's off, or timing chain? No ballast that I can recall on them.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Looks like on the 5.0 the White-Light Blue wire connects directly to the coil from the ignition pin 11 (run) with no resistor.

I'd wonder if the TFI module is bad and burning out the coil with too much dwell or something?

Cheers

Steve

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Looks like on the 5.0 the White-Light Blue wire connects directly to the coil from the ignition pin 11 (run) with no resistor.

I'd wonder if the TFI module is bad and burning out the coil with too much dwell or something?

Cheers

Steve
You only have dwell if you have points, am I wrong?

IIRC, I have one on mine, but I thought they were there to prevent your points from burning out. Perhaps the thread Steve reffered to can clear this up.

·
Registered
777 Posts
You have to have some charging time for the coil, so, If you have a coil, you will have dwell. On electronic systems, there is no adjustment available, so no one talks about it.

too long of a dwell will burn out a coil quicker than most other things I can think of.

With no ballast resistor in his system, that is the only thing I can think of.

Cheers

Steve

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
You have to have some charging time for the coil, so, If you have a coil, you will have dwell. On electronic systems, there is no adjustment available, so no one talks about it.

too long of a dwell will burn out a coil quicker than most other things I can think of.

With no ballast resistor in his system, that is the only thing I can think of.

Cheers

Steve
sounds plausible.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Why not just install a ballast resistor? I got mine for either 3 or 7 bucks at napa last year.

I have a switch under the dash that I flip back to give the coil full juice, around 14 volts. When it starts, I flip it forward to give it around 13.5. It doesn't drop it alot but it gives me some peace of mind. It's always started fine on the 13.5 setting too, so I'm sure you really don't even need a switch, just install the ballast resistor in the wire going to the coil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts