Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the stainless bassani y-pipe with cat on my 95 bronco 351. And i was wondering if that cat is actually legal?:shrug When i first saw it, I was like "This is a catalytic converter!?" When i looked inside it i seen the honeycomb structure but from the outside it just looks like a resonator. I think i'm gonna have a hard time convincing the inspection mechanic that it's a cat nd not a resonator. We don't have smog testing here YET. Just visual inspection.

I can't complain tho my Bronco runs like a raped ape now :thumbup nd sounds AMAZING with the bassani y, highflow cat, nd my Hooker Aero Chamber muffler.:rockon

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Just bring the paperwork along with you that explains what it is, and they shouldn't give you a hard time.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
I just installed the stainless bassani y-pipe with cat on my 95 bronco 351. And i was wondering if that cat is actually legal?:shrug When i first saw it, I was like "This is a catalytic converter!?" When i looked inside it i seen the honeycomb structure but from the outside it just looks like a resonator. I think i'm gonna have a hard time convincing the inspection mechanic that it's a cat nd not a resonator. We don't have smog testing here YET. Just visual inspection.

I can't complain tho my Bronco runs like a raped ape now :thumbup nd sounds AMAZING with the bassani y, highflow cat, nd my Hooker Aero Chamber muffler.:rockon
Ah yer worrying about sh!t that may never happen Shane

Get out there and enjoy that new found power !!!!!!!!!!!!!! After a week or two, drive sensibly for a tank or two and let us know what kind of mileage increase you get.

I got a solid 3 mpg city and hwy, that never went away, after I stuck on the new Y-pipe we fabbed up;

Have you done the ignition upgrade yet ?

Sixlitre

p.s./
Take pics of the honeycomb shot so you can show the eco-dicks if they ever ask, but like B4L says Bassani has the CARB letter and all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never got any papers with my pipe just a bag of clamps, piece of tube, copper anti-seize, and some sweet stickers.

Sixlitre I did so the ignition upgrade about a month ago and it did make a big difference. I think that i can advance the timing a little more tho cause i never get any spark knock nd i only advanced it to 12*. I was reading and some guys did theres too 13.5*.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
I never got any papers with my pipe just a bag of clamps, piece of tube, copper anti-seize, and some sweet stickers.

Sixlitre I did so the ignition upgrade about a month ago and it did make a big difference. I think that i can advance the timing a little more tho cause i never get any spark knock nd i only advanced it to 12*. I was reading and some guys did theres too 13.5*.
That was my sweet spot alright Shane

Unless you have ungreared 33s you should-oughta be able to advance to 13.5 and collect gas savings:thumbup

Let us know if the Bassani nets any too.

These kind of mods (that also save gas) are paying for themselves in no time these days, with gas prices being where they iz.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya that's for sure Sixlitre. I never actually had enough money to fill my tank completely up since i got the bronco about 2 months ago :cry Gas just started recently coming down around here, about $0.30 in the past 2 weeks. About time!!!! :thumbup :chili::thumbup :chili::thumbup :chili::thumbup
I'm gonna advance the timing a little bit this week some time. Then try to scrounge up enough to fill it up so i can get a accurate mpg figure.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Ya that's for sure Sixlitre. I never actually had enough money to fill my tank completely up since i got the bronco about 2 months ago :cry Gas just started recently coming down around here, about $0.30 in the past 2 weeks. About time!!!! :thumbup :chili::thumbup :chili::thumbup :chili::thumbup
I'm gonna advance the timing a little bit this week some time. Then try to scrounge up enough to fill it up so i can get a accurate mpg figure.
Try for a second mortgage:toothless

I'm tellin' ya it's no joke these days. Still I think you mileage will be a whole lot better with these two mods.

Best of luck

Sixlitre

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
I'm not sure if i would bring the paperwork along...

Bassani Xhaust warranty states:

"Bassani Xhausts' high performance products incorporating catalytic converters are NOT street legal and are not designed or advertised for use as stock replacement parts. All parts shall be covered under the above warranty with exception of catalytic converters themselves, which carry a specific 90-day warranty. This warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship only and does not cover catastrophic failure, such as catalyst overheating due to state of engine tune or any Physical Damage imposed upon the converter itself or its housing."

It goes on to say:

"Federal E.P.A. and individual state laws make it illegal to remove properly functioning OEM catalytic converters from vehicles, which are operated on public streets and highways. As such, installations of Bassani Xhausts' catalyst equipped products are not legal for sale or installation on vehicles, which are operated on public streets and highways."

http://www.bassani.com/warranty

I believe that Bassani Headers, Y-Pipe and Aft-Cat components are 50 State Street Legal, but the CAT MAY not be. Bassani consistantly states "Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles", regarding their Metallic Substrate CATS. Yet the above term "As Such," confusingly infers to the removal of Properly Functioning OEM Catalytic Converters. Yet again, regarding the 58150B3 Y-Pipe w/Cat, Bassani specifically states "Legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway", which again allows one to ponder about the other 49 States.

So, are Bassani Cats a legal replacement for damaged or non-functioning units outside of California? Bassani will not specifically say, except that a California Air Resources Board (CARB) # has not been issued.

Next month when I have my required bi-annual emissions test, I plan on not saying a word unless asked. Then I will explain how my CAT was damaged and required a replacement. ;)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I feel your hurt.:cry At least you had enough to get the bassani to save in the future.:thumbup I have to leave the stock y on:cry, but at least i dont have to worry about emissions.:toothless Good luck passing inspection though, been there done that.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
So, are Bassani Cats a legal replacement for damaged or non-functioning units outside of California? Bassani will not specifically say, except that a California Air Resources Board (CARB) # has not been issued.
Bassani's website, unfortunately, is shitty. There are frequently missing pictures, vital details, etc. which is just insulting IMHO, considering how much their parts cost. I would absolutely give them a phone call and ask, but I would expect their answer to be a bit ambiguous regarding CARB exemption, especially on 1995-1996 models. If they can state, in writing, that their equipment is a functional, factory-equivalent replacement, then I think you'd be all right in the remaining 49 states.

Your local smog ref might prove more useful than Bassani, now that I think about it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have the same mods you have with the bassani y-pipe and catalytic converter with the Hooker muffler. I passed inspection easily here in Texas. Search around your area for a local muffler exhaust shop that has a few lifted trucks in the parking lot and ask if they do inspections. Get to know the owner and the rest is easy. Maybe let them do a small inexpensive job on your truck first.
Note of caution!! The tranny lines run very close to the y-pipe on my truck.
I also have the six litre tuneup and remote tranny filter. The truck is very fast for a 5000# brick.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Different rules for different states. Here, the state certifies different facilities such as gas stations, muffler shops, and numerous other places to do the inspections.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Note of caution!! The tranny lines run very close to the y-pipe on my truck.
Ya they do on my truck too. I bought some heat shield wrap nd put it around the lines where the're close. hopefully it helps.

I should have mentioned that my inspection mechanic is my also my Uncle.:brownbag But just because he's related dosen't mean he will pass anything. He's not passed some of our vehicles before, they were pretty bad tho." I think as long as i show him the bassani catalog with the picture of the cats nd show him the tag on the y-pipe with part no. that matches with the cat part no in the book. it will be alright. :thumbup

I'm gonna try to get a soundclip up as soon as i get some time nd a decent recording device. :toothless

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Just out of curiosity, can you post the exhaust gas numbers when you get it inspected? i.e. the HC, CO, NOx, O2, and CO2 numbers?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would but they don't test the tailpipe emmisions here, YET. They just perform a visual inspection of the emission componets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.