Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. Don't know if this goes in this forum, or, not so educate me if it doesn't.

So, I needed a new battery earlier this week. There's a guy I work with who used to work in the industry as a commercial battery installer/tech for 13 years. I'll spare the details of who he worked for because I don't wanna get anyone in "trouble". Anyways, he told me there were certain batteries available, called "seconds" (2nd's), and they're much cheaper than retail.

For example, if the posts have not been molded perfectly and some of the lead has spilled onto the case, it's a "2nd". If the case has a minor blemish, it's a "2nd". If the battery had been sitting on the shelf for too long and needed a re-charge, it can no longer be sold as "new" and is considered a "2nd".

These types of batteries can be found at most battery stores and are, usually, a significant discount over retail. You just have to ask for them. They have to be identical in fit and function to be sold, though. They just have some, minor, blemish to where they can't be marketed as "new", despite, for all intents and purposes, they actually are.

I ended up getting one of these 65 series AGM batteries for $55, out-the-door, because it had sat on the shelf and needed a re-charge. Also, for some reason, it didn't even have a label on it, yet. It had come straight from the manufacturing plant. It's a Deka 9A65. It retails for, around, $165-$215 when "new". Nothing in the world wrong with it:

Just thought I'd share some money-saving tricks-of-the-trade from the battery world.

Eric

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,513 Posts
I've known about seconds for a very long time, and in certain instances, they can be a great value. The one you have is one of those. However, some seconds can have invisible flaws that cause the battery manufacturer to not put the longest warranty on it, such as ones that fail the load test, or have total voltage below full voltage (which is 12.65 volts fully charged). So I have chosen ones for certain situations, such as selling a car, replacing a battery in a junky car, etc. It'll be interesting to see how long that AGM lasts you, since they have different needs than a standard flooded lead-acid battery.

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should be okay. AGM batteries should be charged at a max of around 10 amps. When they're dead, they need to be jumpered inline with another battery and the charger to get the charger to register a voltage and start charging. I've dealt with them, before, on street cars.

I hope it will last a while. For $55, though, I figured it was good deal. I tested it when I got it home and it registered 12.86 volts. I guess time will tell. :shrug Sure beats the old battery that came in the BKO when I got it back in October. Wasn't even the right series.

Eric

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*Mutters quietly in a hushed tone*

East Penn Manufacturing Co. (They're a Deka rep.)

I don't know if I'm supposed to share that because they were a direct referral, but... oh well. They deal, primarily in fleet and commercial/industrial stuff. The battery was $70 and they credited me $15 for my old one.

Awesome company. Not to mention, some older guy in slacks and a polo shirt came out and chatted me up about my Bronco while I was swapping the new battery in. The truck looks like a total beater (runs like a top, though), but, the dude couldn't take his eyes off it. He said he missed his old one a lot and asked me every question under the sun about mine. Told me to come back and see him if I ever need anything battery-wise. Solid dude.

Eric

·
I ♥ TTB
4,275 Posts
*Mutters quietly in a hushed tone*

East Penn Manufacturing Co. (They're a Deka rep.)

I don't know if I'm supposed to share that because they were a direct referral, but... oh well. They deal, primarily in fleet and commercial/industrial stuff. The battery was $70 and they credited me $15 for my old one.

Awesome company. Not to mention, some older guy in slacks and a polo shirt came out and chatted me up about my Bronco while I was swapping the new battery in. The truck looks like a total beater (runs like a top, though), but, the dude couldn't take his eyes off it. He said he missed his old one a lot and asked me every question under the sun about mine. Told me to come back and see him if I ever need anything battery-wise. Solid dude.

Eric
Cough Cough... Deka is East Penn's house brand, as in Deka is made by East Penn, not the other way around. :goodfinge

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darn, closest one to me is 90 miles away...:doh0715:
Any battery store should carry 2nd's. Just walk in and ask them. Hell, I didn't even know that there was an East Penn satellite, here, in Arizona. Never even heard of them before I got referred.

Cough Cough... Deka is East Penn's house brand, as in Deka is made by East Penn, not the other way around. :goodfinge
I stand corrected. I knew they had something to do with one another. :shrug I guess I could've just done this:

East Penn Manufacturing Co. (Everything you ever wanted to know about East Penn Mfg. Co.) :goodfinge

There are, any one of, a half-dozen different labels slapped on East Penn batteries. Napa and Auto Zone are two that I read about the other day.

Eric

·
I ♥ TTB
4,275 Posts
:thumbup

I would think your best chance of tracking down 2nds or blems would be through a distributor of the Deka branded product.
East Penn also manufactures our Duracell line, we don't do 2nds because as a company we won't use a sub-standard product that could risk tarnishing our name. We require they use only the top tier batteries like they use for John Deere/Cat/etc for ours where some of their other labels will use the lower level batteries.

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:thumbup

I would think your best chance of tracking down 2nds or blems would be through a distributor of the Deka branded product.
East Penn also manufactures our Duracell line, we don't do 2nds because as a company we won't use a sub-standard product that could risk tarnishing our name. We require they use only the top tier batteries like they use for John Deere/Cat/etc for ours where some of their other labels will use the lower level batteries.
Most places (around me anyways) have 2nd's for the asking. I can understand a distributor wanting to maintain their image, though. I'll see how the battery I bought holds up. Going in deep for hunting this season, so, I hope is doesn't pick right then to "give up the ghost".

interstate ecopowers.
??? Is this the battery you're running?

Eric

·
I ♥ TTB
4,275 Posts
Most places (around me anyways) have 2nd's for the asking. I can understand a distributor wanting to maintain their image, though. I'll see how the battery I bought holds up. Going in deep for hunting this season, so, I hope is doesn't pick right then to "give up the ghost".
No doubt! That's a good battery so I'm sure it'll be fine. I've got a lot of faith in that line, blem or not... :thumbup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts