Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '78 needs a new battery. I don't have any extra lights or a sound system of any kind. I don't want an Optima so don't even suggest one of those. I've heard too many bad things about them. What brand would you recommend?

And sorry if this has been covered dozens of times, but search isn't working for me and I need a battery tomorrow.

Thanks

Cameron

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
got one from auto zone some years back after having bad luck with die hards. never had an issue to date. what's wrong with the optima?

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
What exactly have you heard that is so bad about an Optima?

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
yeah, whatever you do, don't ask the numerous experienced members here who actually have an optima, have run them for years without problems, just go by what you "heard" somewhere. just continue to stick your head in the sand. that's real smart.

and this hasn't been covered dozens of times, its probably been covered hundreds of times. what do you mean "search" isn't working for you? sounds like you're just too lazy to do your own research.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Meh, can't go wrong with a Duralast, Autolite, or my personal favorite: Motorcraft. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
I run the DieHard SUV in my BKO. More cca's and longer reserve than Optima, half the price:thumbup But the Platinum brand that Advance carries isn't bad(have it in my Avalanche). I got 6 years out of my last one and it was only a Silver (Gold 1yr,Silver 2yr, Plat. 3yr warrantee) I think. And you will never have a problem finding a place to take it back if it does go bad, they seem to be on every corner!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a red optima and had noyhing but problems, but I think it was bad from day one. They are still one of the best bateries out there IMO

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Optimas suck. :goodfinge

I've always been a big fan of Stinger AGM batteries, especially in the offroad arena because of their extra shock abuse handling and near impossible failure of cells due to broken plates.

Otherwise, I've got whatever junk they sell at advance auto parts under the hood, because if I leave the lights on, and I feel that I've started to hurt the battery's lifespan, I'll just take it to work and wreck it with a load center/charger we've got, and take it back and let them test it and get a new one with a 5yr warranty on it.

AAP has screwed me with their shitty inventory and other stuff enough times that I don't feel bad getting a new battery from them every year or two on the house.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
My used and abused Optima lasted me 4 years after I got it. It was replaced with another one just like it. I like not having to deal with the acid.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Motorcraft/DieHard Gold batteries have an 8-year warranty (3 free-replacement). :twak Optimas suck. :uke:
Thanks for misqouting me Steve. I clearly said the battery was used and abused when I got it. It lasted me an additional 4 years:twak

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
839 Posts
I have a duralast in mine for the past well almost 3 years and haven't had any problems, well other than someone stole my bungee hold down and it flew into the alternator...oops. I'm pretty hard on batteries too as I have a tendency to forget to turn my amp off at night (its the switches fault the light went in it so I don't see it) and by morning shes' dead so I just give it a jumjp and off I go, probably at least 10 times in the last 6 months, I run quite a bit off of that battery too, amp, with 12 inch subs, freaky neons in my interior, air horn which I have a tendency to use way too much and my wolf whistle horn, not like that is a whole lot but it works good for me and other than the color red I'm ok with it. now the boyfriend would beg to differ with me there and insists on only running Dekka batteries in all his stuff, swears by them

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, whatever you do, don't ask the numerous experienced members here who actually have an optima, have run them for years without problems, just go by what you "heard" somewhere. just continue to stick your head in the sand. that's real smart.

and this hasn't been covered dozens of times, its probably been covered hundreds of times. what do you mean "search" isn't working for you? sounds like you're just too lazy to do your own research.
Wow, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? All I said is that I didn't want to run an optima because I've heard bad things, and I wanted to hear about different brands. It's my battery in my rig so chill the hell out.

And what's so hard to understand about the search not working for me. It wasn't working for me. Do you want me to fax it to you as well, maybe write it out in blood? Maybe it's my crappy ass dialup. It's been acting up since we've gotten it, and has been even more tempermental today. When I clicked on the search button it froze. I need to pick up a battery tomorrow so I had to find out some info right away. And why say I'm lazy? I said that I knew it had been covered before, meaning that I knew someone was going to get on my case if I didn't say something. But low and behold, someone got on my case anyway, even after I explained myself.

God forbid you're ever in a pinch.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Motorcraft/DieHard Gold batteries have an 8-year warranty (3 free-replacement). :twak Optimas suck. :uke:
Have you had bad experiences with optimas? Or was it just a smartass remark?

If you have had a bad experience please share. :thumbup

As for what I've heard about the optimas I've heard bad things about the red and yellow tops. Various things like dead batteries after sitting for short periods of time and then not holding a charge afterwards. Or someone leaving lights on overnight and afterwards they're unable to hold a charge. That type of thing. No exploding batteries or anything.

Thanks to the polite people. I'll check in town tomorrow to see what they carry.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Personally, I love optimas, run a red top in my mustang. It's the first battery I've had that dosnt drain in a week with my parasitic electrical system.

But...

We have had some warranty refusal issues at work.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
Wow, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? All I said is that I didn't want to run an optima because I've heard bad things, and I wanted to hear about different brands. It's my battery in my rig so chill the hell out.

And what's so hard to understand about the search not working for me. It wasn't working for me. Do you want me to fax it to you as well, maybe write it out in blood? Maybe it's my crappy ass dialup. It's been acting up since we've gotten it, and has been even more tempermental today. When I clicked on the search button it froze. I need to pick up a battery tomorrow so I had to find out some info right away. And why say I'm lazy? I said that I knew it had been covered before, meaning that I knew someone was going to get on my case if I didn't say something. But low and behold, someone got on my case anyway, even after I explained myself.

God forbid you're ever in a pinch.
no one pissed in my cornflakes, it's just people who act like you annoy the crap out of me.;)

you come on this forum and start out your thread by saying you "heard" a certain product was no good and therefore don't want to consider it, when you have no clue whether that premise is true or not. people who make decisions on this basis (my uncle's brother's sister's cousin read somewhere that some guy said they were no good) usually make poor decisions. you have a treasure trove of users here who can share their experience with you on optimas (good and bad) and all other brands. if you'd prefer to stay ignorant and uninformed, i have no sympathy for you.

no one else out of the thousands of members we have on here is reporting a problem with the search function. did you report it to the admin? no you did not. your excuse is one we hear over and over by people who are too lazy to search. i place you in that category. does the site lock up on people once in a while? yes. try reloading. it seems you tried to search once, then said F it, i'll just repeat a thread that has been posted a thousand times.

and just because you waited until the day before you needed a battery - which again, says alot about you - does not constitute an emergency on our part. you have a lot to learn here.

and let me get this straight...not knowing which battery to buy is being "in a pinch?" :rofl: and you really don't know me very well to be making that kind of idiotic statement. i've gone way out of my way to help numerous people on this board in ways that are far more important than deciding which battery to buy. again, a topic that has been thoroughly covered on this board too many times to mention.

and just because you anticipated getting flamed for not doing your homework, and with good reason i might add - does not mean that you don't deserve getting flamed. because you do. so please stfu and learn how to search.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.