Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the battery and battery terminal ends on my 1996 Bronco XLT 5.0L. I did not have a wiring diagram on me, so I just replaced them one at a time making sure the wires were correct. Now sometimes when I put the key in the ignition I'll turn it on, dash board lights up, lights on, everything good. Then when I go to start the engine everything immediately cuts off. I go pop the trunk, jiggle the battery terminal wires, and it sparks by the battery terminals but then everything comes back on. There positive terminal had three wires, two thick ones and a smaller one. The smaller one was cut off and led to nothing so i'm starting to think that it may have been a ground.It was never there to begin with when I bought it and it didnt have this problem. In the picture you can see the little blue guy missing from that ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,982 Posts
Is there a loose wire anywhere near that ring terminal aka blue guy? If your sparking something is loose!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,719 Posts
Assuming you replaced the terminal ends because of corrosion? If so, I'd go back and check your grounds, particularly the one to the frame and the block. You've probably got a bad ground somewhere..side note, those clamp terminals are crap and I can see exposed wire in that 2nd pic..do yourself a favor and get some soldered lug terminal from Napa. You'll get much better results.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assuming you replaced the terminal ends because of corrosion? If so, I'd go back and check your grounds, particularly the one to the frame and the block. You've probably got a bad ground somewhere..side note, those clamp terminals are crap and I can see exposed wire in that 2nd pic..do yourself a favor and get some soldered lug terminal from Napa. You'll get much better results.

Thats what im thinking. What gauge wire should the ground be?

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
3,662 Posts
We did 1/0 when we redid our battery cables to solenoid, starter and ground and 10 gage to alternator with new ring terminals.
20190720_200554.jpg
20190720_200544.jpg

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,719 Posts
Thats what im thinking. What gauge wire should the ground be?
I used welding wire for my ground..don't remember exactly what gauge, maybe 4..some folks like to oversize, but that's been sufficient for my purposes.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Super Moderator
27,269 Posts
Yo Steven,
As advised.
EDIT, SEE ATTACHMENT BELOW.
If local welding supply company will build you a cable such as what MOM and LTC Bill Kilgore did, see for example, https://www.custombatterycables.com/f150-bronco/
Ford - 1992-1997 - Gen 9 F150 or Bronco - 1/0 Negative Battery Cable
42" 1/0 with 6ga body and frame ground leads.
$67.13

&
Build cables set using Military Style Terminals
  • Using the military (or "universal adapter") style terminals allows you to add as many electrical accessories with ease. Great for adding a winch.
  • Large cross bolt is 3/8".
  • They also have the advantage of being able to replace just the terminals and not the entire cable.
  • Must be purchased with a cable set.
Includes:
  • If you purchase this optional upgrade, the cable set will come with tin-plated heavy duty 3/8" lugs and military-style terminals instead of standard battery terminals. 3/8" Nylock nut included.
$14.00

Compare price to local suppliers.

Attachments

Reactions: BroncMom
1 - 8 of 8 Posts