Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few pictures of bronco's with the battery moved to the back. Someone told me they did this to fit some other piece of equipment into the engine compartment. My question - is having the battery in the back safe? It would free up some room for something else.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
It's safe enough. Here are the potential issues; The battery contains acid, so you need to keep that in the battery. That means the battery must be mounted so it can't fall over and so that nothing can slide into it and break the case. You got to protect the terminals from shorting, like if something metal slid into it and shorted them. And lastly a charging lead-acid battery can emit hydrogen, which is flamable. Your best bet is to mount it in a sealed battery box which is vented to the outside.

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
people sell those boxes everywhere- but they arnt hard to make.
but- most people will tell you to keep your battery cables as short as possible...
what piece of equipment is the size of a battery? why couldnt IT be mounted in the back?
maybe its OBA...
ace

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
I mounted 2 in the back of mine. Drycell batteries are the safest, they emmit no gases. I would never do it again though, I hated it.
160.00 a peice, but only 325CCA's, so if you live where it gets cold they will turn your starter real slow. Also they arent supposed to break when its cold and they go dead.

Here's what it looks like now, I used the holder from when I mounted them in the back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts