Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88' Bronco 351w and it is having trouble starting. It cranks the first time but won't get past it or pauses and then cranks another one or two times sometimes starting it and sometimes not. I have checked the battery voltage and the voltage when it is charging and they are both fine and ve cleaned the connections. The voltage only drops a significant amount when put under a load like starting it or rolling down more than one window at a time. Is my battery just bad or do you guys have any suggestions on what it could be ?

·
Super Moderator
25,754 Posts
yo,
I agree w/Ewgoetz; symptoms = shorted cell

·
I ♥ TTB
4,263 Posts
Sounds like a potential battery issue. I could tell you more accurately with the actual voltages.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hook another battery to it with booster cables. If the other battery is still in another car, make sure niether vehicle is running when you hook the booster cables up. Start your truck and try all the same things that the one battery had trouble with. If they go away with the second battery in place, then you know it is the battery forsure. if the problems are still there, could still be the battery, but also could be cables, which you can do a voltage drop test on. I think you will find the problem goes away with the second battery inline, as it sounds like your trucks battery is pouched.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts