Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to set the beads on my spare 31x10.5x15 tires but not matter what I do they just won't seat. They are on 10 inch wheels but still, I didn't think they would be this hard. They are my spares and I won't be driving on them full time. I need to get them both done so I can mount my rear tires on my current wheels though. Any suggestions? I tried using 3 ratchet straps and it almost seemed to work. I even tried the starting fluid trick. I hope putting the rest of my 31x10.5's on my 7" wheels won't be this much of a PITA.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Have you tried wrapping a ratcheting cargo strap around the tire and cinching it down? Kind of squeezes the beads out a bit.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,190 Posts
I use the large ratchet strap around the perimeter like you both mentioned.

Take the valve out of the stem, it'll increase the air flow. If you can set up a clamp on chuck without the little vlave inside of it, that'll help with air flow too. You'd need to be able to open a seperate shutoff when you're ready for air. Let the compressor fill completely before starting on the tire.

From the back of the tire, with it on the ground at an angle, hold the top of the tire & push the rim firmly into the bead with your foot until the back side is set pretty good. Turn the tire around, & push gently with your foot from the front to close the opening as you fill it with air. Don't push so hard that the back bead pops off. If you have three hands it helps, but keep them all away from the bead. Once it seats, you can put the valve back in without the bead breaking.

A little tire lube helps to seal as well. My dad used to spread a difficult tire open with blocks & let it sit a couple of days before mounting it.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
First is the bead surface on the tire in decent shape? What about the rim also? If there in poor shape they mey need some attention. I always use a soap and water solution on stuborn tires to seat them. If its just one side thats giving you fits get a block so that you cam slam the tire down on it (hit the rim) on the side thats hard to seat. Sometimes this will get it started enough go make it seat under presure. Good luck.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Have you tried wrapping a ratcheting cargo strap around the tire and cinching it down? Kind of squeezes the beads out a bit.
drinking and posting...just don't do it. :smilie_slap

I didn't see the part where you have already tried using ratchet straps..

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been trying to set the beads on my spare 31x10.5x15 tires but not matter what I do they just won't seat. They are on 10 inch wheels but still, I didn't think they would be this hard. They are my spares and I won't be driving on them full time. I need to get them both done so I can mount my rear tires on my current wheels though. Any suggestions? I tried using 3 ratchet straps and it almost seemed to work. I even tried the starting fluid trick. I hope putting the rest of my 31x10.5's on my 7" wheels won't be this much of a PITA.
I had a pair that was like this once. 36X12.5-16 radial swampers on 10" wheels. Looking back, I should have left them off the rims and put blocks or 2X4's inside the bead to strech them out for a few days.
I did finally get the beads to seat but it was violent and dangerous.

Place rim and tire flat on plastic 5gal bucket w/valvestem down. Clamp on tire chuck with air line off. Spray a good amount of starting fluid inside tire. Simultaneously have someone turn the air on while you ignite the starting fluid....get the hell away as the tire will jump about 3ft in the air. Or you could take the tires back off the rims and strech the bead....yeah, that's probably the way I'd do it now.

Greg

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I had a pair that was like this once. 36X12.5-16 radial swampers on 10" wheels. Looking back, I should have left them off the rims and put blocks or 2X4's inside the bead to strech them out for a few days.
I did finally get the beads to seat but it was violent and dangerous.

Place rim and tire flat on plastic 5gal bucket w/valvestem down. Clamp on tire chuck with air line off. Spray a good amount of starting fluid inside tire. Simultaneously have someone turn the air on while you ignite the starting fluid....get the hell away as the tire will jump about 3ft in the air. Or you could take the tires back off the rims and strech the bead....yeah, that's probably the way I'd do it now.

Greg

Sounds like ya used a little extra fluid to me. ;) Did stockers with starting fluid. Add fluid in increments untill it is enough to seat the bead. First time wasn't enough so you add more...etc. Never did it before, and I HAD to have mine on the rims before it got dark out. :twak Never wait until the last second to do something.

KC

·
Registered
955 Posts
Here is a little trick that may help. Take the valve core out. Jam the air hose coupling directly over the valve stem. They are nearly a perfect fit and it flows about 100x more air than a air chuck. Once it seats, pull the air hose off and reinstall the valve core as quickly as possible. I use starting fluid on the trail, but I have never had trouble setting beads at home with the method above.

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds like ya used a little extra fluid to me. ;) Did stockers with starting fluid. Add fluid in increments untill it is enough to seat the bead. First time wasn't enough so you add more...etc. Never did it before, and I HAD to have mine on the rims before it got dark out. :twak Never wait until the last second to do something.

KC

No quantity of fluid would make it seat....I tried. It would flame up rather than explode. I tried 3 different brands too. The flamability of starting fluid aint what it used to be. I was going to try acetelyene but that scared me a little too much.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Holy cow! acetelyene would blow the garage apart! we put a little in a ziplock and ... well you know what happens next

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've heard of people putting 10.5" tires on 10" wheels so I know it is possible, The wheels were free and I don't have money to spend on smaller wheels. I tried using the air chuck but still didn't couldn't get the bead to set. I even had 3 ratchet straps wrapped around the tire. Guess I'll try putting some wood inside the tire to spread out the inside of the tire. Wish I would have remembered the wheels were 10" before I put the tires on.

Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
I've heard of people putting 10.5" tires on 10" wheels so I know it is possible, The wheels were free and I don't have money to spend on smaller wheels. I tried using the air chuck but still didn't couldn't get the bead to set. I even had 3 ratchet straps wrapped around the tire. Guess I'll try putting some wood inside the tire to spread out the inside of the tire. Wish I would have remembered the wheels were 10" before I put the tires on.

Thanks for the help.
Uh...how you going to get the wood out?....did you remove the valve core before trying to fill the tire? I have seen tire stores do that to push more air into the tire to help set the bead, it can be done

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
first off all a 10 inch wheel is a little wide for a 31 inch tire.
I put a set of 235s on 8.5 rims with the starter fluid+match=bead seated meathod :toothless But I don't know if that is a big streatch or not. The stealies that the tires came off of where a little more narrow for some odd reason...

KC :popc1:

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,190 Posts
The method of using wood blocks that I've seen is to place them between inner & outer beads with the tire off the rim for a couple of days to sort of stretch the tire prior to mounting it. The blocks are removed before the tire is installed on the rim.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
The ratchet strap trick WILL work, but it may take a lot more effort than you realize. You have to make sure the tire collapses evenly. It generally folds under the ratchet at which point the bead will never seat. Make damn sure you're ready to pop the ratchet once the beads hold air or you could have a painful mess on your hands when the strap or ratchet breaks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts