Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am about to order my crank and i was wondering if its ok to use the stock size rod and main bearings. I havent had any machine work done. But I should be fine right?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,833 Posts
Well I am about to order my crank and i was wondering if its ok to use the stock size rod and main bearings. I havent had any machine work done. But I should be fine right?
I was just reading your other thread and you asked about using stock rods. I don't think you can use the stock connecting rods because your pistons would hit the heads, which means your pistons would be like hitting a brick wall. It won't be pretty. They need to be shorter because your 393 crank has a longer throw. You will need to plastigauge your crank to be sure you have the right clearances for your bearings.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im using the 302 pistons they are shorter. Or more shallow if you will. It will have the clearance

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
Always PlastiGage it to be sure. Finding out something's off five minutes after firing it up never ends up going well.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,833 Posts
im using the 302 pistons they are shorter. Or more shallow if you will. It will have the clearance
Just replied to your PM, shdybrady.

Sackman, the 302 pistons are shorter like shdybrady said. With the stock rods they stay just below the deck surface with the new 3.850 crank throw.
Well that makes sense to me now. But if they weren't shorter then the problems that would arise would be devastating. Hope everything goes well with the stroker your building!:thumbup

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as soon as i get alittle further along ill post my build. If you ever change your crank then it will work. It looks like you already have it punched 30 over.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,833 Posts
Yes just had the work done in January. Runs f'ing great! New crank?.......In about 6 years when this motor goes....lol!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,833 Posts
Yeah your right. Hopefully more like 10 - 12 years. But I figure in 6years, I'll want more power or something....lol. At the moment, i'm pleased with the results as my rebuild only happened because of an intake coolant leak. Total cost set me back 2k, but all sensors were replaced, new 3 inch exhaust, total rebuild and balanced too. And I'm still running on my SD with an E303 cam. I'm kinda curious what kind of difference changing it over to MAF would do....:scratchhe... But I know your excited to have your motor stroked to 393, so good luck and I'll be watching.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im going to keep my speed density. I dont really care to swap over to maf. Its just an added cost.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,833 Posts
im going to keep my speed density. I dont really care to swap over to maf. Its just an added cost.
But its been said that the 393 won't handle the SD. Even with my cam they said it wouldn't work with SD. I would think your going to have more difficulty to run more cubic inches than me running an E303 cam.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am also part of ls1tech.com. Alot of those guys are switching to speed density. I have seen 572's run on speed desity. It will run. It might take some tweeking but it will do it

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
whats the grooves for? is it just for oil passages? oh and thanks by the way

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
Higher oil delivery, usually hand in hand with a high-volume pump. It's an extra cushion needed when the engine is turning 8000 RPM and putting out 600 HP. :D Those engines are also running much looser tolerances as well. Not the type of setup for a daily driver or street vehicle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.