Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started building my winch bumper. It’s not as much of a pain to cut up the ¼” plate with a 4 ½” grinder as I thought it would be. You do go through a lot of cutting wheels though. I bought another HF grinder for $17 so I could have one for cutting and one for grinding. I made a template out of hard board (peg board without the holes) for the top corners and started there. I also cut out the base plate for the winch.

Next I made the front plate for the fair lead and drilled and cut out the center. I tacked it to the winch base then test fitted it.

I cut out the front corner pieces and tacked them at a 90degrees. It starting to somewhat resemble a bumper.

At that point I ran out of cutting disks (10 so far). I went to HF and bought 20 more (plus a bunch more stuff including 4 more magnets $0.99 ea.) I then got side tracked looking for a upgraded CPU for my ‘puter. 2 Fry’s and PC club but no one had what I wanted (P4 478 pin 3.2Gz) by the time I got home it was past dark.

To be continued…..

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
That does look good. Is it going to be flat across the front or angled back some at the sides?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Show us more!!!

Looks awesome so far. I like to see how everything is put together. Gives me a better understanding on how to make one myself. I am very interested in seeing how you mount it to the front of the truck.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Lookin good. MagnumPI's been talking to me about building him one kind of like that, I'm looking foward to seeing how yours comes out.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I had to help a friend setup a wireless lan so I didn't get started until 2:00. There is more there than it looks like though. Every mounting point is on a bracket than can be unbolted. I tacked the sides and back corners on, mounted each side in place with 3/8" x 2" flat stock and put a diagnal 1" square tube from the outer corners to a spot about 1.5' from the front of the frame.

It still might look a little funny since I don't have the bottom plates on yet. I thought it would be easier to brace it up this way.

It's a good thing I made it adjustable since I wan't thinking and set it up with a magnetic degree indicator at 90 degrees. I didn't take into account the angle of the driveway. Duh

It is easily fixed though.

to be continued.....

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Looks a lot like mine, very sweet. Might look more symetrical if the middle part was as wide as the grill but it looks good.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted to tuck the winch in as tight as I can into the grill as much as I can so I made the winch box small enough to fit in between the frame rails. There will be a third angle between the corners and the winch box.

I'm not sure exactly how to describe it so stay tuned. Next weekend I should get more done.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a little further on the Beater Bumper. I also found out I didn't buy enough steel. I got it welded up enough to drive it back to IMS to pick up some more. It looks a little ugly right now. I will grind all the visable welds off and round off the edges.

If I'm lucky I should be able to finish it over the weekend.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cut the stock brackets and welded a 3/8" x4" bar across them and went from there. I will be welding more 3/8" stock at a 90 degree for additional strength. I also have 1" square .120 wall from the top corners diagnal to the frame and will add more bracing before I'm done. I have to pick up some more steel tomarrow.

Yes the center does look inverted. I took a few pics and they al look that way. :shocked

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Looks good

·
Banned
495 Posts
vvery nice

that is a very nice bumper, that road armor dont have nothing on you, i like your design very much. keep up the good work

Ray

1 - 20 of 97 Posts