Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ref: My '92

I've got a rusted transverse frame that is welded to the bed floor and is bolted to the frame. It's the one located closest to the rear wheels.

Does anyone know of a source for a replacement?

I haven't had any luck finding it in any parts catalogs.

The junk yards around here don't have anything that old.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,457 Posts
Measure it and use square tube, I know someone on here square tubed a cab under frame.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0L AOD Full length headers, no cats annoying Flowmasters
68 Posts
Here is a video of a guy replacing one with a square tube at around the 6 minute mark.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying to get ideas for the next frame forward. I'm still driving this truck daily, so I haven't disassembled it, like the guy in the video. I think the square tube will work. I just hope the body can remain on the frame and maybe lift it enough to slide in the new piece.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Going to be a tough welding angle, be sure your cover yourself good, them embers be damn hot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually have to find a welder to do this. I don't own a welding machine. I'm not a good welder anyway.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0L AOD Full length headers, no cats annoying Flowmasters
68 Posts
I am in the same boat, but I will buy a welder, & get good at it. Just keep telling yourself that, & it will become true! Never sell yourself short, we are humans, we can do anything!!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I actually have to find a welder to do this. I don't own a welding machine. I'm not a good welder anyway.
That’s not going to be cheap!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rob_64-365, the main problem is that I have no place to do this repair. They guy the video has a big garage to do it in.
It seems that I would have to lift the body off the frame to repair this. I got a quote of $4000 plus parts to do it. If I can find someone reasonable to do the this repair, where do I find these parts. The two rear most cross beams need replacing, plus patches to the frame where they sit. Does anyone know if the parts are available in the aftermarket? I have looked in craigslist for front end wrecked Broncos, but haven't found one yet. Is the rear of a pickup the same structure, except for the tailgate?

·
Registered
68 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts