Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Died from flywheel/flexplate which ever u like to call it. Past 4 years ive done fluids filters, gaskets, and anything else i find that needs/looks like replaceable. My question is the manual locking hubs and if any damage be done without actually being in 4 wheel drive?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The hubs should be fine. If you would like you can take them off and soak them in ATF to clean and lube them. But it should be alright.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Until i replace the master (again) brake booster n steering stablizer and head gaskets, i want to put it in 4 wheel drive just to make sure it works since the flywheel was replaced 3 years ago. Just to drive a couple miles in it. And have seen alot of mudding videos where they ask if their lockd in and never seen them get out to lock them, so i think they were pre locked before actually put into gear. Ive read that manual locking hubs and being locked in without being in 4 wheel drive wont actually hurt anything but will have some resistance in steering and reduced gas mileage, like how wud u even kno when its a gas gussling tank anyway..

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
It won't hurt anything to drive around in 2 wheel drive with the hubs locked. I wouldn't go up to highway speeds that may cause vibration but no biggie. If I go wheelin near my house, I lock the hubs and air down at home then just shift into 4 wheel when I hit the trail. Definitely would see a lower MPG if you did that all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It hasnt been driven in 4 wheel drive in 7 years and i just want to have fluids circulate, and make sure everything still works somewhat properly, i want to drive it soo bad, but i also want to re do the wiring harness and what no. But dont kno how long it wud stay down, if i miss'd something, proned to doing that alot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts