Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I know this could be rather simple but it's keeping me from driving my truck. The damn belt has a LOUD squeal at everything above idle. I can't figure it out. I tried different belt sizes, it still screams. I spun all the pulleys by hand and none seemed to make noise or have too much resistance. my ps pump shaft seems to have a little endplay but nothing serious enough to cause this HORRIBLE noise. Have any of yall had this problem?

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Grab your fan and shake it with the belt off. If it wobbles, your water pump is shot. Also I read a secret to keeping old belts from squealing was to use tooth paste. I'd try that last as I doubt thats the problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is the stock ps pump. I'm thinking it's not the water pump. The fan has a little visible runout as it spins but it is a "new" reman water pump. Guess that could be crap from out of the box... Now i'm thinking tensioner also. I hate to just go replacing parts but it's driving me nuts. Ima go buy a tensioner and hope that fixes it. Thanks for your thoughts guys!

N

·
0 Posts
get a bar of soap,and with the engine running press the soap against the grooved side of the belt while the squeal is audible. If it goes away, then the problem lies in the belt. If the squeal continues, then it is a bearing or something.
To track down the noisey pulley get a length of garden hose with one end in your ear and the other at the variuos pullies.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I just replaced the damn tensioner and it still squeals like a sumbitch at any thing above idle! I'm starting to think it's not the belt or pulleys at all. it sounds like it's coming from further back. I've had a lot of bronco problems in my day and have never seen this. It sounds like a belt slipping like hell but isn't. It sounds fine at 650rpm but at 800 all hell breaks loose. Motor is fairly new along with most of the parts on it. A bronco really knows how to kick you while you're down. I just noticed a brake fluid puddle leaking out of a rear wheel cylinder. I think my shit is haunted. anyone know a good bronco exorcist? :banghead

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Get a garden hose (stethoscope) and find where the nose is coming from, stop replacing parts that aren't going to fix it, your going to add more trouble for yourself if something else goes wrong. Could be an exhaust leak if it's not a belt squeal, but make sure you know what it is.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could an exhaust leak reall sound like a loud belt squeal? I was kind of thinking that but i ruled it out because i never heard one sound like that before. Thanks ima definitely find me a section of hose and check it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
get a bar of soap,and with the engine running press the soap against the grooved side of the belt while the squeal is audible. If it goes away, then the problem lies in the belt. If the squeal continues, then it is a bearing or something.
To track down the noisey pulley get a length of garden hose with one end in your ear and the other at the variuos pullies.
:stupid

sounds like a bad belt for sure, you can also get a dab of silicone and rub it onto the belt start it up and rev it up if noise is gone = bad serp belt

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
IIRC, "Belt Dressing" by CRC would probably work best, it just sprays on and lasts for quite a while I use it all the time and the can sprays upside down. I like to do it when the motor is running, being careful I take a cloth and hold it near when spraying belts above and below just to catch the over-spary so it doesn't get every where.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aight, I used a mechanics stethoscope to poke around a bit. this has nothing to do with the belt or pulleys. The screeching sound can be heard only above idle and when I snap the throttle open quickly. If I ease through the rpm range I get no noise. It's starting to make me think it's oil pressure/bearing related. Could a main bearing sound like that? However the the noise does not go away once it starts until I let off the throttle. It doesn't seem to be getting better or worse and otherwise the motor sounds tight.

:chili: <----- The Problem. / Me------> :whiteflag

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Aight, I used a mechanics stethoscope to poke around a bit. this has nothing to do with the belt or pulleys. The screeching sound can be heard only above idle and when I snap the throttle open quickly. If I ease through the rpm range I get no noise. It's starting to make me think it's oil pressure/bearing related. Could a main bearing sound like that? However the the noise does not go away once it starts until I let off the throttle. It doesn't seem to be getting better or worse and otherwise the motor sounds tight.

:chili: <----- The Problem. / Me------> :whiteflag
yeah, but did you try the soap, wd-40, or belt dressing, before you decide to tear your motor apart?

And no, it ia not a main bearing. A main bearing will more likely make a knocking sound

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,231 Posts
my two cents here, but since Dec, my truck has been squealing pretty bad, started after I replaced my alternator, but after spending a few hours poking around & listening very carefully to all the pulleys, I was assured it was not the alternator. I tried using WD40, worked for about 5 minutes... after that I was just irritated, so I moved the tensioner as far down as it could go without causing damage to the belt. After this, the sound stopped... but it was cold and I was not running the A/C... Now, just a few days ago, the temperature went back up & I cut the A/C on... and here comes the squeaking... through all RPM... I haven't looked too much further into it, I've been busy with other projects. And as long as the A/C isn't on, it doesn't squeak. I'm still not sure if it's just the added rotating mass on the belt, or if the A/C pump's pulley is dying on me. Anyway... figured that might help you out a bit (by the way the truck's going on over 200k miles).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did try the wd-40 but it didn't change anything other than almost lopping off my hand with the fan because i'm a dumbass. I'm totally lost. I guess ima just take this sorry bitch to a REAL mechanic before I make it worse. Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dont put anything on the belt, just buy a new tensioner and a DAYCO belt, I went nuts trying to solve this problem with DRIVERIGHT belts, and replacing belt driven accys. It was the tensioner and a cheap, I tried a combination of tensioner and bel before acomplishing this, it was both, belt and tensioner. Dayco makes a great repro tensioner, I got at advance for like $60, if you felt the diff. in the old and new tensioner, and watched there action at idel, you can tell its tighter, BTW I dont have a smog so im running a 91.5 belt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts