Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just finishing up on my F-350/Thunderbird brake upgrade. Last step is to put in the master cylinder. I am working on bench bleeding this thing. I put the plastic plugs in and put it in a vice. I have been pressing that piston in with a screw driver but Im not building up any resistance like the instructions say I should. I don't see any fluid leaking from the plugs. I need soe suggestions before my arms fall off. :whiteflag
thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
It could be a bad master cylinder, I got a rebuilt one from the parts store one time and tried and tried to get it to build up pressure but no luck, finally I took it back got another one and it worked perfectly. :beer

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Whe you are bench bleeding it you have the kit with the hose that goes back into the reservoir? It won't build up much pressure at all. Basically what you are doing is cycling the BF thru the master. When you started this out you should of had some air bubbles for a bit then it should go to all fluid. When it is all fluid your bench bleeding is complete.

You can also "bench bleed" on the truck as well with the plastic fittings, hose kit and a helper. Just use the brake pedal instead of your arm to depress the MC.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Bmboll, make sure you have enough brake fluid in the master cylinder to cover the ends of the bleeder hoses. If not, air will be sucked back through the hoses, and you won't get a positive pressure for bleeding. Sounds like that's what's happening; just make sure the hose ends are submerged in fluid.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've bench bled both ways, with the plugs and with hoses. Both people above are right on the hose method. I've found it easiest with the plugs, I think less mess that way. One thing, keep your strokes short. You will see bubbles working through the two cylinders into the resevoir, it doesn't take too long and you will be hardly able to push the thing in at all. That's when your done. Sounds like to me after reading your previous post about how the brakes had no pedal that your master is tits. Gotta love them parts houses sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts