Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to bend some aluminum to build a security bracket for my radio. I bought a stick of 1/16"x1" flat bar to build it with. So, I think I need an aluminum brake, but I have no clue how to build one. Could I possibly get away with a vise, hammer, and some muscle? The bends don't need to be perfect since it won't be seen. All bends will be 90 degrees. Thanks for the suggestions!

EDIT: Ack! Put this in the wrong spot. Mods please move to the right section!

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
x2 on the vise. It's 1/16" aluminum, not much muscle needed.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any tips when bending with a vise to keep the bends as neat and clean as possible? Any special techniques? I imagine you don't exactly want to go for the gusto right off the bat because it will bend in the wrong spots.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Any tips when bending with a vise to keep the bends as neat and clean as possible? Any special techniques? I imagine you don't exactly want to go for the gusto right off the bat because it will bend in the wrong spots.
Use a hammer and hit it as close to the jaws as possible. Keep in mind your actual bend lines will end up being a little bit above the jaws.It will bend quite easy so you don't need any big wind ups with the hammer, lol.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
Why not just use some aluminum angle? If your juist using the plate because its what you have then 1/6" should bend realy easy.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not just use some aluminum angle? If your juist using the plate because its what you have then 1/6" should bend realy easy.
The bracket is going to look more or less like this:

It's designed to keep someone from being able to just rip the radio straight out the front of the dash. They'll have to reach around and undo the nut and release the bracket before being able to pull it. I already bought the aluminum, and I don't see an easy way to make it out of angle aluminum. I'm thinking the aluminum should be strong enough to resist being bent. When I get home tonight I'll take some more accurate measurements.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
If you want straighter lines to your bends than you get with a hammer, try using a Crescent wrench. Put the barstock in the vise, with your bend line slightly above the jaws. Tighten the wrench down until it fits snug over the end of the bar. IT's easier to control the bend by slowly puling down on the end of the wrench and toward you as you go. Once the wrnech bottoms out on the vise, you can then finish the bend with the hammer. The thin 1/16" aluminum will be easy. I've used this technique on metal up to 1/4" thick like I used on my rollcage outriggers. JSM84

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I've had it done for a while, I just haven't gotten a chance to take some pictures of it. So, here they are:

And here's how it mounts onto the back of the radio:

And since looking at the back of a radio and something else doesn't look too good, here's a front shot of my center console:

I think it came out pretty good. The bends aren't the straightest lines, and they're not crisp and sharp, but this part isn't going to be seen, it's just going to thwart thieves. The bending went so well I'm going to probably try to build some mounting brackets for the screen using the same aluminum flat bar. Right now the screen's just in there by a friction fit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Out of curiosity, have you tried force to get it out of your console? Not enough to damage it but to see how strong it is. The reason I ask is because the would-be thief may be a bit rougher on your equipment than you will be when they try to get it out.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Out of curiosity, have you tried force to get it out of your console? Not enough to damage it but to see how strong it is. The reason I ask is because the would-be thief may be a bit rougher on your equipment than you will be when they try to get it out.
no worrys there that bracket is plenty strong enough the theif will simply just bust the crap out of the console to get all that neat stuff you posted up

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I like the screen is it a touch screen? what else does it do?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
OoH fancy carputer.. Good stuff for a mallcrawler.. If i didnt go offroad all the time id rock one too. I thought about making a mount for a tv so when were camping we can watch some tube

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely not an off-road truck. It's a 2wd suburban....not exactly going anywhere offroad. :histerica

·
ford freak
731 Posts
I need to bend some aluminum to build a security bracket for my radio. I bought a stick of 1/16"x1" flat bar to build it with. So, I think I need an aluminum brake, but I have no clue how to build one. Could I possibly get away with a vise, hammer, and some muscle? The bends don't need to be perfect since it won't be seen. All bends will be 90 degrees. Thanks for the suggestions!
add a drill for mounting, and your set.

oops. just scrolled down. came out nice!

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,463 Posts
hmmm...nine years late on the advertisement....

·
Super Moderator
25,828 Posts
hmmm...nine years late on the advertisement....
Yo KLH,
That late post is now gone.

I messaged person about the possibility of him becoming a member VENDOR.
:thumbup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts