Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen this particular notion discussed here or on other boards, so I'd like some feedback on it.

I've got a '78 Bronco that's lifted with the 4" (or maybe it's the 6") Superlift kit (came with it). Part of the kit is a pair of drop brackets for the radius arms to retain factory castor. I'm shortly going to be wristing a radius arm, but not extending them. I plan on boxing them both for strength, so there will be a fair amount of cutting and welding happening.

Since there will be cutting and welding anyway, I've started wondering if I could ditch the drop brackets by bending the radius arm heads upwards an appropriate amount. Viewed in profile, instead of this:

]-------

They would look like this (with a LOT less angle, of course):

.../
]/

Which, in my mind at least, would allow the stock mounting bracketry to be used without the drop brackets, while maintaining the factory castor. I don't think strength would be an issue as they'll be boxed or plated or both. What other problems might be inherent in doing this?

Two possible problems I've come up with are 1) the studs not being long enough to accommodate the slight forward repositioning of the arms (I haven't even started measuring things yet--I'm still just noodling the idea) and 2) the studs becoming the weak point as, if they are long enough to proceed, more of them will be foward of and thus levered against the mounting bracket.

Thanks for any input on this!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I myself wouldn't feel the angled idea would be that good because the radius arm bushing would not be taking the load as the are designed to and creating a shear point at the mounting location. This would als be a concern with hiem joints.

Since you only have a 6 inch lift I would just go with the radius arm bushing for your front axle to correct the axle alignment. Besides you will more than likely be removing the arms anyways. This way you can still keep the stock mounting point and keep ground clearence, if needed.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
I haven't seen that don before that doesnt mien it hasn't i wold think your weak point would be at the bend then the frame mount you don't kneed drop brackets with 4inch maybe with 6 inch why don't you make one of your arms wristed for more flex that's what i have it works great.:thumbup​

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
I don't see the purpose, especially since you are going wristed. The wristed side will not bind no matter what and the non-wristed side needs to be strong as hell, so no extra bends are wanted. If anything, I would redo the stock radius arm drops so the flats where radius arm bushings press against are angled downward to meet your given angle. That way you don't start with a bushing compressed on the downward side. Then correct the caster like everyone else does with degree C-bushings.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
If.... and I mean IF I was gonna do that (Which I'm not-ever!) I would bend an offset, an upward bend at one end and a downward bend at the other. Then weld reinforcements into the webs at the bent locations.
They make some weld-in radius arm extensions for the ends. I'm no fan of that idea either, but it is a way you could lengthen them after bending.
I have to suggest one more thing: get them magnafluxed before you paint them and install them. The RA's are critical suspension parts, made of cast steel. If you bend them too cold or cool them too fast they can crack or be weakened invisibly. Getting em mag'd is cheap insurance.
If you see the radius arms in action when you hit the binders in a 65mph panic stop then you'll appreciate the forces they deal with and maybe re-think this plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts