Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know the answer to this but ya never know. I ran a string line from bottom of the brake drum to the same point on the other brake drum of the rear end as an offset because the rearend looks bent but both drivers side and passenger side of the pumpkin are the basically 4 1/2" up from the string on both sides of the pumpkin and 5" out next to the drums. so 1/2" on each side. Is there any way that its supposed to be out a 1/2" or is just bent the same on both sides?............Thanks,Roy

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,475 Posts
most likely bent on both sides. not hard to do with the 8.8 if it's not trussed. You should also be able to verify with an angle finder. But it should not be out 1/2", tube should be straight out to the drum on both sides.

·
my bko ate my money
3,878 Posts
Yep, Thats what I figured. Time to look for a 9 inch I guess and truss that mutha.... Thanks, Roy
hey you cant use a 9''.....you have the vss in the pumpkin which means youll have to modify your 9'' or go without a speedo and electronic trans,

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,475 Posts
time for a sterling 10.25
This thread was actually moved from the Broncospeed forum, so my guess is he's a go-fast desert guy, light and quick, so the sterling pig would not be a good choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I know about the sensor but a 9" can be modified to accept it or there is a shop in Brea that will machine your yolk to accept the sensor behind the transfer case instead from what I have read........Thanks, Roy (love the desert)

·
Enjoy my
6,059 Posts
Works for me! :toothless

What leaf pack is that?

And I have heard less then stellar things about the repositioned VSS-mostly the $$$.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
that is nice, but wouldn't a build of a 9" be nicer?
Absolutely. A built 40 spline FF nine is the way to go. Done right, the price is around $5400 from Schriener Racing (Dave just bought one for the race rig), which is about as cheap as you'll find. Add a 10" centersection and it's up to $6500. I've got $4500 in my entire set-up. Springs, shocks, straps, brakes, Sterling, etc. For a budget prerunner it's great.

What leaf pack is that?
That's the Deaver F53 2.5" wide race pack.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,475 Posts
Absolutely. A built 40 spline FF nine is the way to go. Done right, the price is around $5400 from Schriener Racing (Dave just bought one for the race rig), which is about as cheap as you'll find. Add a 10" centersection and it's up to $6500. I've got $4500 in my entire set-up. Springs, shocks, straps, brakes, Sterling, etc. For a budget prerunner it's great.

That's the Deaver F53 2.5" wide race pack.
Hmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of 35-40 spline, appropriate carrier to go with it (detroit and others sell all these for the 9" not real expensive), nodular center section, no 10" yada yada, trussed like Sven did, and finally discs. Call it good and it would be no where near $4500. You could also do this with a 60, not sure why the desert race crowd does not seem to like fullfloat axles, but they do make semi float 60's too. Either option seems like it would be a lighter option capable of handling some serious use and power over the much weightier 10.25 semi float.

edit: those wilwood discs, is that a vented disc in the rear? what size is being used?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Hmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of 35-40 spline, appropriate carrier to go with it (detroit and others sell all these for the 9" not real expensive), nodular center section, no 10" yada yada, trussed like Sven did, and finally discs. Call it good and it would be no where near $4500. You could also do this with a 60, not sure why the desert race crowd does not seem to like fullfloat axles, but they do make semi float 60's too. Either option seems like it would be a lighter option capable of handling some serious use and power over the much weightier 10.25 semi float.

edit: those wilwood discs, is that a vented disc in the rear? what size is being used?
The rotors are solid, 12.19".

The desert guys are all about spooled 40sp floaters. The loads a desert rig exherts on the rearend rival those of a crawler in low range. If I were running 37's and 500hp, a 10" ring gear and 44 spline axles would be added insurance to keep the rear end alive under race conditions. Housings have to withstand continous hits at speed. Cromoly is the choice and costs considerably more than a junkyard nine. Larger 3.5-4" axle tubes are utilized as well.

In my case, I got a used rear end, shocks, springs, limit straps and 2 link for $3200. The shocks alone are $2300 new. Total cost involved with getting it under my rig right was $4500. Would I build the rear axle this way if it were new? No! Did I get a kick ass deal from Paul Wilson? Hell yeah. For a budget prerunner it's great. The big bearing 9" outers do the job. My race rig will have a budget 40 spline FF spooled nine with 300M axles and 14" vented discs. Cromo housing if the budget allows. Why the 9"? Because if you blow up a centersection during the race, you throw another in and finish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.