Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now own my first 6.0... What's the best oil to run in it... I've been told to ONLY use Ford PSD oil for 6.0 and not to run Rotella (aerates to easily), is this true or BS?

I run Rotella Synthetic in my 7.3 w/o any issues and I know others who use Mobile Syn Diesel oil... Just want to run the best so I get longevity outta the 6.0

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,137 Posts
Not many diesel folks here...

We always ran motorcraft in our 6.0l.

·
Foolsize Member
1,557 Posts
In late 2016 the API (American Petroleum Institute) changed the heavy duty diesel oil standard from CJ-4 to CK-4, Ford did testing and found that the additive package in the new CK-4 spec didn't play well with some of the internal surfaces of the 6.7 powerstroke and led to increased wear. For that reason they rejected CK-4 all together for ALL Ford diesels and recommended Motorcraft oil ONLY for their engines. For no more than it costs, I'd stick with Ford oil (thats not just because Im a parts manager at a Ford dealer either). Make sure you use Motorcraft FL-2016 oil filters aswell, those aftermarket 6.0 filter/cap combo's are a nightmare in themselves.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Unless you just like throwing your money away, Tractor Supply’s 15W-40 oil has all the ratings you need. Look it up.....
Also, for super-clean oil, I installed an FS-2500 bypass oil filter from Filtration Solutions. You might want to check that out.... great filtration, extended oil change intervals if you want to go that route.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
643 Posts
On my personal 7.3 and the 6.0’s at work I run either rotella or delo, whatever is on sale. I run a quart of Lucas synthetic stabilizer too, and I’ve never had an oil related issue

x2 on the fs2500 also, I run those too

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,137 Posts
Pops bought some oil for his 6.0 one time. I poured it in and drove 10 hours to Minneapolis. Fired it up the next morning and 30 minutes later it shut down, in the left lane of the interstate at 75 mph. Boy was that fun. The HPOP went out.

Turns out we put fricking gas engine oil in it! Talk about smooth move exlax...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts