Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an aggressive A/T.
Going to ditch my Toyo M/T's, to loud and aggressive for a daily driver.
Also I am sure they are killing my MPG.
When driving really slow I can feel the treads rolling.
So wanting to go to an all terrain.
So far looking at:
Toyo A/T II
Falken wild Peak

What else is out there?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I’ve also had really good luck with my BFG ATs including KO2.

Ride nice, wear great, quite, really impressive traction aired down, and they won the Baja a zillion times.

I’ve run a bunch of different mud terrains as well and while the BFG won’t go head to head with them off road I’ve been surprised at how well they work in some pretty rough and nasty stuff. Again, air them down to 12-14 psi and they really start to work well.

And they are great on hard pack snow and ice.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Addicted to Junk
10,168 Posts
I'll never buy the BFG again. They were fantastic for mileage, wear, dry and wet pavement. But once I got into the thick clay mud we have here, they gummed up faster than an ol blue hair eating corn on the cob.

That was my only beef with them, but I need that traction here, and they don't provide it.

I generally don't buy AT tires so I can't suggest one

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
I just bought a set of Toyo Open country tires and so far I love them. I havent had them off road yet but for street driving they are about 80% quieter than my old Wild Country M/Ts.

I bought them because I liked the looks of them and I talked to a couple of guys that had them and gave good reviews.

Just my 2 cents worth..

·
Eric
2,429 Posts
General has a brand new A/T tire called the ATx. It has the tread pattern of the AT2 tire (Which was so similar to the original BFG A/T KO tread pattern that it was involved in a patent infringement lawsuit a while back. :toothless) combined with the side biter lug pattern and "Duragen" rubber compound found in the M/T X3 tire. Three Peak Snowflake rated and studdable for snow/ice. Pretty damn sweet.

I have owned both the AT2 and am currently running the X3. This new ATx tire combines the best of both.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,207 Posts
I have also been checking out the new ATx for my Excursion. I have had good luck with the Grabber AT2's on anything I have ran em on. I will agree they tend to cake up with mud/clay but its not a mud tire at same time either.

·
Premium Member
34,635 Posts
I've been running the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs for a few years now... 1 set for summer, 1 studded set for winter and I love 'em. They seem like a solid in-between of an MT and AT tread. Smooth travel and great grip on snow, ice, dirt, mud, etc. When I first installed 'em, I drove to visit a friend and was pushing bumper deep snow for a good 1/4 mile to get through his driveway. When I got back out... I went to unlock my hubs and realized I hadn't even engaged 4x yet and was surprised I hadn't even noticed. A good share of my driving is highway mileage, living in a rural county and driving to the big city for supplies. Seem to wear nice and slow but I do my own seasonal swaps/rotation and don't take down a ton of miles. My ol' lady liked 'em so much, she bought a set for her Yota too.

Size availability may be an issue though. :shrug

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,611 Posts
ive been looking at those copper AT3's for my 07 superduty crew cab 4wd. I currently have Nitto G2's and they have done ok for 40k miles roughly but have only one more summer left. A local shop has the KO2's for 950 installed that are 285/75r17's that are also peaking my interest given the great reputation. I just feel the coopers might be a better hwy tire that will still perform in snow/ice with very mild gravel road adventures.

the BKO has the older BFG KO's , I would like to move over to the SST Pro's in a 17" wheel

·
Addicted to Junk
10,168 Posts
Forgot my f350 came to me with Nitto Terragrapplers 305/70-r16

They do great on dry surfaces and wet hardpacked surfaces. Not terrible in mud, but not terrific either. The tread voids are wider than most AT tires, so they clean out a bit better.

BIG O Bigfoot AT tires are pretty good too. I have them on my explorer.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,611 Posts
I find my Nitto's to hold rocks really easily which is frustrating. I think the only Big O tire in oregon is down in Medford. didnt really take hold here in our state for some reason. Les Schwab tires had a pretty strong foothold for years till Les died and the quality/service went down hill.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,168 Posts
Odd because my Nittos don't. I grew up on gravel roads, so I know about the rocks hitting the undercarriage and rockers. My swampers on the other hand... They kick up big ol rocks

The BIG O here is really good. They are always busy, and still pretty fast. They always take good care of me, and their manager/owner has been there every time. In fact, most of the counter guys are the same as when I first started going there 8 or so years ago. But yeah, they aren't everywhere.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
7,500 Posts
My info is old, since I've been on M/Ts for the off road traction for quite awhile. But for on highway use, I loved the BFG A/Ts that came with my Bronco. Good wet weather traction (it doesn't rain alot here, but we lay down so much oil on the roads between rains that wet traction is an issue). They were quiet too. Long wearing, but I don't know how long. They came with my truck, & when I went up to the bigger M/Ts I gave the A/Ts to a friend who ran them on a dd Jeep until it was sold a couple of years later, still on those same tires.

Also be aware that tire rotation is important with M/Ts. On my Bronco the M/Ts stay a lot quieter on the road if I keep up with proper rotations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BigBlue completely agree about the BFG TA K02s in clay-mud, I face that in So Utah. It cakes into their treads really badly on those tires and won't come out, pretty soon you're just driving on slick walls of mud with no tread showing. My Hankook Dyanpros way outperformed the BFGs in the mud because the mud doesn't cake up in the treads the same way.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,191 Posts
Older thread but I ran the Falken Wild Peaks on my F150 this past winter and absolutely love them all around, great street manners, really good in the snow/ice and have held up good in gravel so far

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,501 Posts
I’m a BFG AT fan. The new ones are fantastic in the snow and ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I too run them exclusively now that I am in the Great North Plains. I hate mud, so I avoid it except if I have to go to the farm on the crap graveled clay roads. They do great in that. And in ice and snow. Quiet and good wear. I have the KO2s. Way better than the Firestone ATs and my Cooper ATs (these absolutely sucked in snow)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts