Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i just bought a xrc10 smittybuilt winch. i need a new battery and alternator. im in the process of contacting fireguy50 now for the alternator. i plan on getting the 3G 160 amp. what battery should i buy? i no that optima has bad reviews so thats why im wondering wat other one should i buy. thanks

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have a Optima yellow, ZERO issues because always on a battery tender when it sits 6 months out of the year

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone eles?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just run a cheapo battery, but I dont have a winch. Everybody swears by the yellow tops though.
Good luck contacting fireguy, busy,busy,busy. Just order what you want and it will show up at your door though. I went to the website placed my order on like a thursday and it was at the door tuesday. Order was correct and packed topnotch.
I ordered the charge cable kit and put it together myself, it was very easy with small handheld propane torch. If you get the premade cables buy the kit longer than you need by 10 or 12", one guy on here said it was too short but I believe the length listed includes the cable from alternator to megafuse and megafuse to starter relay. Like a 24" would be 14" from starter to fuse and
10" from fuse to relay?????
Thats why I opted to build my own.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
I would have bought a Yellow top if I hadn't read how Optima went cheap on the innards. I bought an Interstate megatron from a dealer and got it for 95 bucks, Thats a good enough battery with my 160 amp alt... When it needs replacing I will still have saved considering the longevity that 2 new battery's will have gotten me. Years ago I would have insisted on Optima but that is too much money to spend on something that is hit and miss-

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a Optima yellow, ZERO issues because always on a battery tender when it sits 6 months out of the year
I got 11 years out of a optima red top when it died...still dead sitting on my garage floor for 2 years ( its like a pet i just cant get rid of)...goto napa they also have a battery witha 72 or 84 month warranty but same price as a optima..

X2 on the battery tender...

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Yeah on the Battery tender, I got an old battery on a Battery tender and it's always ready to go-

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
Thats a nice winch, I have dual red tops, one is over 8 years old, I have killed them on several occasions and with a nice long charge they come right back up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i should be fine with a yellow top and the 3g 160 amp alternator?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have no first hand experience with a optima but from everything i have read they went to crap in the past few years nothing like they used to be...I wont be putting any in my truck...
Whatever, NEVR EVER going wet cell. I grew up and went with a charger ON ALL MY RIDES !!!!!

Just saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Speaking of battery maintainers... I have a 15k generator in the shed and every 6 months the battery would be dead as a doornail and I would have to charge it up, I bought one of those solar panels that throws something like 1.5 watts at the battery {got it offa Ebay for 25 bucks} Now the battery NEVER goes dead, They work great.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
I have a 3G with the Walmart (Exide or Johnson Control) battery. Winch is a Warn M8000. A few weeks ago, I broke the drivers side front ujoint while playing in the snow. The road out was uphill with about 3 feet of snow. Now way to make in 2WD and the Jeeps I was with couldn't tow me uphill. We did 4 or 5 full 125 foot full lenght cable pulls up the hill. Fortunately threre were enough trees to strap to. It wasn't until the last pull that the battery voltage dropped low enough to cut out the radio.

Unless you plan on running it at the max for multiple pulls, the 3G with any good battery should be fine.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Best is car bat for truck, and deep cycle for the winch........................

Me being fag wheeler, no need for a winch. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
i use stowaway in my truck and boat (small one with two trolling motors) and as long as they are properly maintained they will last for years. the on in my brocno is from 09-01 and still going strong. boat batteries are from 02 and 03.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a 3G with the Walmart (Exide or Johnson Control) battery. Winch is a Warn M8000. A few weeks ago, I broke the drivers side front ujoint while playing in the snow. The road out was uphill with about 3 feet of snow. Now way to make in 2WD and the Jeeps I was with couldn't tow me uphill. We did 4 or 5 full 125 foot full lenght cable pulls up the hill. Fortunately threre were enough trees to strap to. It wasn't until the last pull that the battery voltage dropped low enough to cut out the radio.

Unless you plan on running it at the max for multiple pulls, the 3G with any good battery should be fine.
guess who owns optima....Johnson Controls..

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
guess who owns optima....Johnson Controls..
not only that but the yellow batteries from walmart are the same as the interstate megatrons. After my megatron died I picked up the walmart one and have had it for almost 7 years now.

I think almost all of them are made by Johnson Controls

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
yeah, but because of the whole ricer thing... i hate having colored batteries under the hood.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts