Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for the last 6 months, my fuel pump has been making some very strange noises. It hums when I turn the key to the run position, like it should, and then it stops making sounds. When I start the vehicle up, the pump will continuously hum. Sometimes it whines at a really high pitch. Sometimes it makes a really loud whirring sound. I’m pretty sure it’s bad since I’ll also get a drop in rpm at idle from time to time, and this drop is accompanied by the fuel pump’s plethora of sounds quieting down until the rpm returns to normal. It’s as old as the vehicle is, so it’s 27 years old. My question is: where should I order a pump from? Is the complete sender/pump assembly from Bronco Graveyard acceptable, or should I order a motor craft one? I’ve heard they’re all basically the same brand now. Also, if anyone has had this problem before and it was something else entirely other than the pump, let me know. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
I would suggest a fuel pump access panel. And then plan on replacing the whole pump, strainer, float, etc. Don't even know if motorcraft is available but get it off it is. Rock Auto and Amazon a pretty great for finding specific parts. Otherwise, I trust BWD for electric parts. Not sure if they make one or not, though. But anything SMP (manufacturer of BWD) is usually pretty reliable.

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
Yo Hunter,
As dash_cam advised.
Motorcraft @ https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-PFB4-Fuel-Hanger-Assembly/dp/B000C5DR2G/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford|54&Model=Bronco|633&Year=1993|1993&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Read reviews, such as;
"This is a motorcraft part, but a bit of advise you need is: if you are putting this on a older vehicle, such as my 1994 Ford Bronco, you will need to also buy the harness jumper. They are not making the harness the way they did back in the 1990's. But with the Jumper harness, you clip the harness end off the vehicle and wire in the new jumper harness, its easy and color coordinated. So the wire look the same, and just match wire to wire. Its good to know this before you are jacking the tank back in the vehicle and easy to do if the tank is still out of the area."

"
As installed for my 1994 Ford Bronco:

This part DOES NOT include the fuel level sensor and float as shown in the the picture. Also, you will want the WT56822 connector as the connector on this fuel pump DOES NOT mate with the original connector. Aside from that, it worked as intended."

miesk5 note, WT56822 @ Amazon.com: WT56822: Automotive

·
Registered
731 Posts
I just did this and I purchased the complete kit from the Bronco Grave Yard. As usual, it was a let down. I paid more as the wiring with kit was advertised to fit the 95/96. It did not. My truck is a 95 and I had to splice the wires to make it work.

If you want OEM go with the one from Amazon that Miesk posted. You can also open up the the fuel pump assembly's plastic case and replace the pump individually. Walbro is who supplied Ford with the pumps, so if you find the pump, the strainer and leveler individually you will probably save some money. Putting the assembly together is not hard at all so I wouldn't worry about that.

Someone recommended Quantum to me, they have a great warranty but I never used them.

IMG_20191231_163946322.jpg

·
Premium Member
'95 XLT: 5.8/MAF/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5x15
35,220 Posts
I am also a fan of making the access panel. I thought I had a failing pump but some PO had broken the clip on the e-harness connection and I was loosing the fuel pump in excessive, wet weather. Not sure if I'd have found the issue as easily, if I had tried to drop the tank instead.

Some pics that might help or at least get you more familiar...

I'm certain we have some threads on making the panel but I can't find anything around here anymore.
JBG sells a panel now. Different from the one I bought from @Steve83 (when he was still around) but basically the same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just did this today, it went pretty slick. I used an oscillating head cutter to open it up. I replaced the pump only, everything tested out OK. Lines were a little tough to get off, they were really dry and full of dirt so some cleaning and a little compressed air helped a lot. I ordered a patch panel from Solo Motorsports, it hasn’t arrived yet though so I don’t have a review for you on that piece. Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Access panel is well worth it. When I replaced my pump a few years ago, I went with a Delphi unit and assumed I'd be good for the life of the truck. A few months later, the sending unit failed. Then the truck wasn't driven very much for ~2 years and the pump failed. I didn't notice during the swap, but the sending unit float had a pin hole, and I had to go back in a 4th time.

I probably wouldn't have fixed the sending unit issues if I had to drop the tank, but it's literally a 10 minute job to swap the pump with the access panel in place. I'll probably cut one out as a preventative measure on any Bronco I buy in the future

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
@BikerPepe` orange Gatorade is the best lol!

While I haven't done it, i also recommend the access panel. And since you are getting in there, replace everything.

I'm lucky to have an engine mounted fuel pump in my 85, but I still have the float and such in the tank. I rue the day I'll have to cut into my bedlined floor to do that.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I used the cheap Harbor Freight ($29) air nibbler to cut my access panel. NO worries about cutting one of the lines or wiring.

The nibbler wasn't too happy with the upward corrugations, but it cut the floor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about a fuel sending unit? I just ordered the pump, but it only comes with the hanger. No sending unit. Any recommendations? I can’t find a motorcraft one anywhere.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think PS-22 is the motorcraft sending unit part number. Several on ebay right now which is where I picked mine up some time back.

·
Eric
2,547 Posts
I know someone above had a bad experience with Delphi, but mine's been working fine. They're a factory supplier for GM. Or, at least they were when I bought one of their pumps for my BKO 6 years ago. Ceramic resistor board and wiring quality/connections were comparable to the factory Motorcraft I pulled out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know someone above had a bad experience with Delphi, but mine's been working fine. They're a factory supplier for GM. Or, at least they were when I bought one of their pumps for my BKO 6 years ago. Ceramic resistor board and wiring quality/connections were comparable to the factory Motorcraft I pulled out.
My bad experience was because the truck sat for ~2 years without running much. I can't really fault the pump for that.

Advance carries the Delphi pump and with the 25% off coupon the price isn't bad. I bought mine from Amazon and it was extremely difficult to get them to honor the lifetime warranty 3-4 years after I bought the pump

·
Registered
944 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you want to spend. I bought a 35$ (pump only) from amazon and it worked fine for a year. After research I found that running the pump on a very low tank will cause it to heat up and fail. Since I only keep a gallon or two in the 1993 I probably caused it fail. With an access panel it makes changing out very easy.... so for the cost of a 400$ entire assembly you could get 5 or 6 cheap pumps and change every few years and still come out cheaper. If the stock $400 assembly will last 20 years that comes out to $20 a year. If you can get three years out of cheap pump that comes out to $12 bucks a year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, for the last 6 months, my fuel pump has been making some very strange noises. It hums when I turn the key to the run position, like it should, and then it stops making sounds. When I start the vehicle up, the pump will continuously hum. Sometimes it whines at a really high pitch. Sometimes it makes a really loud whirring sound. I’m pretty sure it’s bad since I’ll also get a drop in rpm at idle from time to time, and this drop is accompanied by the fuel pump’s plethora of sounds quieting down until the rpm returns to normal. It’s as old as the vehicle is, so it’s 27 years old. My question is: where should I order a pump from? Is the complete sender/pump assembly from Bronco Graveyard acceptable, or should I order a motor craft one? I’ve heard they’re all basically the same brand now. Also, if anyone has had this problem before and it was something else entirely other than the pump, let me know. Thanks guys.
Man I had the same problems replaced tank, fuel pump , relays , everything and it was the computer ! Good thing is the tank was only 100 , fuel pump 125, and the computer was only 80 so it wasn’t too bad and like u said everything is 25 years old

1 - 20 of 21 Posts