Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when rebuilding a 5.8L what are the best gaskets to use? and were to get them?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Fel-Pro engine gaskets suck IMHO for 5.8Ls. They still include shitty cork for the intake manifold end seals. They slip out in no time, and their only advice when I called the company? Use RTV instead. :enforce

The only brand that includes silicone end seals that actually work? Victor-Reinz. Only available at Carquest. NAPA used to carry them, but they've gone to the dark side (Fel-Pro), too.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I never use the intake end seals. They all blow out or leak. Just use a thick beed of RTV and let it set up good before running the motor. I use Fel-pro.:thumbup

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've never used the end seals on the intake. RTV is best it won't move like gasket will. I prefere either the "Right Stuff" or the Mopar type from a dealership. Use the rubber type valve cover gaskets. I belive Fel-Pro calls them permadry. Get a one piece oil pan gasket with the metal rings around the bolt holes. Preferibly made of similar material as the valve cover gaskets. They have fewer problems than cork. and are usually reusable a few times if your careful

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
I've always used the cork ones with RTV and never had any of my work leak in the years since. :shrug

fel pro is only as good as the sealing surfaces are clean...But maybe there is something unique to your smaller engines, I've only worked on the 460's.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The only brand that includes silicone end seals that actually work? Victor-Reinz. Only available at Carquest. NAPA used to carry them, but they've gone to the dark side (Fel-Pro), too.
:stupid Those Victor-Reinz gaskets are nice. Used them on my truck and they worked great. I actually had to pull the lower intake twice and they resealed every time. IIRC the stock ones were the silicone end seals too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts