Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, who? i want to see how cultured you guys all are.
i nominate:
Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, and Kurt Cobain
3 way tie. all made equal contributions to what we listen to today.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
The choices are equal in their influence but i think what peoples musically listening taste will have a big influence.

Hendrix was a wizard. Great music writing and playing. Eddie was a showoff, But a great player at that. Kurt wasnt as technical, But he admitted to it and let his emotions and feelings show throughout his musical career..

Do i make sense?:shrug

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
slash from gun's & roses:thumbup
or you can't go wrong with joe perry from aerosmith

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
first off: Influance and genre of music have nothing to do with raw talent.
Secondly a post like this will indeed be biased by peoples prefrence in music.

With that said, I know they're are alot of true musicians on this board that will have concede that while my oppinion is just that "an opinion" they'll have to give my nominations there due...
As for raw talent, and no bias for my music prefrence...
All time greatest: Chet Atkins (any man who can play more than one song on the same guitar at the same time and have them clear enough to understand both, is un****inbelievable!!!)
Second: Robert Johnson (even with his tragic death at 21 and the lack of "quality gear and recording equipment" he amazes folks to this day...Did he realy sell his soul to the devil??? *yes he inspired the movie crossroads and the saying "sold my soul to rock-n-roll"*
After that my list get blurry...SRV, Satriani, Chuck Berry, Randy Rhodes...blah blah blah

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think Angus Young is an awesome guitarist. Sure he plays mostly powerchords but when he solos, man is that awesome or what?

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
As far as just raw musical talent, Trent Reznor records his whole album alone, then has a band to help play it live.
There are several musicians that are very involved and play lots of instruments...Cinderella's Tom Kiefer writes all there songs, plays guitar piano harmonica and produces there albums...the list goes on...

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Ahh! Im glad someone mentioned Yngwie. Hes pretty nasty. Others I like are John Frusciante is amazing, he often doesnt show it on the chili pepper albums, but go see him live and you will know what im talkin about. too bad hes done too much herion to form logical sentances now.

Richard Thompson is amazing on any stringed instrument.
and of course the others that have been mentioned.

this was the focus of a RollingStone issue a couple months back (top 100 of all time). and the list was pretty bizarre, alot of great guys near the bottom, and alot of bums at the top (Jack White in the top 20, are you kidding?) I think Angus Young was like 95, and EVH was around 70 or so.

one guy commented: How come Vin Diesel isnt on the list, surely he owns a guitar!

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Blaze said:
I give Hendrix his due, but come on...half of the pimply faced 17 year old garage guitarist can play pages shit!!!:shrug
Haha. True...But, Does that make it anyless talentful? I know when i first started playing guitar, all i wanted to learn was Zepplin and Metallica, And with all the hours i spend reading their music, i could damn well mimic their sound...But, Its not the same when a 15 year old kid and paige play it...Right?

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Its all about metal.

IMO The best most technical guitar players are in metal.

Silenoz (Dimmu Borgir)
Galder (Dimmu Borgir)
Jack Owen (Cannibal Corpse)
Pat O'Brien (Cannibal Corpse)
Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse)
Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)
Kerry King (Slayer)
Alexander Kuoppala (Children of Bodom)
Anders Bjohler (At the gates, The Haunted)
Jensen (The Haunted, Witchery)
Adam Jones (TOOL)
Les Claypool (Bass, Banjo) (PRIMUS)
Etc.

But i also like Eric Clapton, Malmstein, and a few others.

I listen to a lot of different types of music. Thousands of songs, 2 years experience with guitar work.
IMHO I just think metal takes that extra step. I mean true metal NOT Nu Metal. None of this power chord crap every song.
I am talking sweet harmony and technical riffs, 5 finger pulls, harmonics, etc.
Some of the stuff i listed is very fast, and when you have more BPM you have to have a lot of change up in order to influence the songs with everything except repitition.

Limp Bizkit and Korn are the exact opposites. LOL

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SquattyD said:
I like are John Frusciante is amazing, he often doesnt show it on the chili pepper albums, but go see him live and you will know what im talkin about. too bad hes done too much herion to form logical sentances now.
the chili peppers are my favorite band. almost saw them a month ago, but the bronco died and i couldn't get to the concert:banghead

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Beerman....If you like technical and intertwined metal, Check out Opeth (Sweden)

Lots of acoustic guitars, and clean vocals mixed with rough growls and voxes. Awesome guitar work and excellent drumming.

Check out stuff from their First 3 albums : Orchid, Mornigrise, and My arms, Your Hearse...

1 - 20 of 137 Posts